Author Topic: Container ship runs aground between Staten Island and New Jersey  (Read 4284 times)

Online Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
    • My photos on Shipspotting.com
Found this:

Container ship run aground for a couple of hours early Saturday in the Kill Van Kull, a busy shipping channel between Staten Island and New Jersey.

Officials blocked off the area around the ship to water traffic during the incident, said Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer Daniel Bender. The 853-foot ship run aground around 4:30 a.m. and was moving again by 7 a.m. The cause of the incident was being investigated, Bender said, and officials were to meet the ship when it docked at Port Elizabeth in New Jersey.

The Kill Van Kull flows between Staten Island and Bayonne, N.J., and is used by ship traffic to access New York Harbor as well as major ports in New Jersey

SeaNews, 15.04.2006

Does anyone know which ship it was?

Offline frederik

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.havenarbeiders.be/forum
Re: Container ship runs aground between Staten Island and New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 04:54:42 PM »
Hi AJL,

The US Coast Guard says the 853-foot containervessel is the "New Delhi".
It ran aground around 4:30 a.m. and was re-floated around 6:15 a.m.
The vessel is now safely moored at the Elizabeth terminal where it is being evaluated.

For more information see http://www.uscgnewyork.com/go/doc/802/115356

greetz,

frederik
Proud to be a Belgian docker!

Offline robert etchell

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 05:26:18 PM »
i have seen ships go throu that channell on tv and seen photos of ships taken there i think that is narrows channel that i have seen in ports in the world. i am suprized this ship had ran around in the harbour is this the first time in the history of this port that had ships ran around in there harbour. this is real big news for that port . lucky here in the port of vancouver  are port is located on  a inlet so we do not have this narrow chanel like they do all we got is the enterence at frist narrows were it is narrow and the loins gate bridge goses across the enternce of our harbour.  

robert

Online Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
    • My photos on Shipspotting.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 07:01:43 PM »
Thanks Frederik for the info! I assume the ship must be the NEW DELHI EXPRESS (IMO 9301770), because there is no ship named New Delhi. Former names LYKES CHARGER, CP CHARGER and CP KANHA, b. 2005.

Offline Tom Turner

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://Seateamimages.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 06:24:35 AM »
KvK looks pretty narrow to me too Robert, and I can watch it with my own eyes in person.

I can remember other ships running aground in recent years here as well, but there is no other way.

Tom
Seateamimages.com

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 12:40:17 PM »
KvK may be narrow but what a great location for ship photography.

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=218713&cid=4

Offline Richard Bruce

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 08:57:23 PM »
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 30, 2007 SB-07-29

NTSB DETERMINES PILOT'S MANEUVERING ERROR CAUSED 2006 NEW DELHI EXPRESS ACCIDENT IN NEW YORK HARBOR

Washington, DC -- The National Transportation Safety Board today determined that the probable cause of the grounding of the New Delhi Express was the error of the docking pilot in not using all available resources to determine the vessel's position as he navigated the Kill Van Kull waterway.

Contributing to the cause of the grounding was the failure of both pilots to practice good bridge resource management.

"This accident could have been prevented if previously issued safety recommendations regarding bridge resource management had been implemented," said NTSB Chairman Mark V. Rosenker. "Since 1974, the Safety Board has investigated numerous accidents where the officers on the bridge and pilots failed to function as a team and we have issued numerous recommendations to prevent these types of accidents."

On April 15, 2006, the container ship New Delhi Express arrived at the entrance of New York Harbor after a transatlantic voyage. Aboard the vessel were a master, 21 crewmembers, three passengers, and a Sandy Hook pilot. A docking pilot boarded the vessel near Kill Van Kull and assumed the navigational control. The ship was traveling westbound in zero visibility fog when it struck a submerged ledge, took on water through a hull breach caused by the impact and ran aground in the waterway. At the time of the accident, the docking pilot was navigating the vessel. Two of the three tugs assisting the ship were also damaged. There were no fatalities or injuries.

As a result of this accident, the safety Board made the following recommendations:

To the U.S. Coast Guard:

1. Use the circumstances of this accident related to the improper redeployment of buoy 14 in Kill Van Kull waterway as a "lesson learned" and disseminate the information to appropriate personnel, emphasizing the need to verify all buoy positioning data during routine position checks and during buoy redeployments.

To State Commissions whose harbor pilots work with docking pilots:

2. Require your harbor and docking pilots to take part in recurrent joint training exercises that emphasize the concept and procedures of bridge resource management.

A synopsis of the Board's report, including the probable cause and recommendations, is available on the Board's website, www.ntsb.gov, under "Board Meetings." The Board's full report will be available on the website in several weeks.

NTSB Public Affairs: Terry N. Williams
(202) 314-6100
[email protected].

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk