Author Topic: Category standards: Other Categories  (Read 8671 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Category standards: Other Categories
« on: October 13, 2015, 02:03:38 AM »
There are currently no specific category standards for

Casualties
Scrapyard Ships
Storm Pics

Are there any specific standards or exemptions from General Standards that should be applied to any of these categories?

Please add your views on this topic below, before 13 November 2015.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Category standards: Other Categories
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:24:30 AM »
There's always been some leeway when applying site standards for casualties and scrapyard ships because these are unique events in a ship's history. I think we should accept that partial or obstructed views, or a little unsharpness, etc. can be accepted in such situations.

Brgds
Phil

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »
I fully agree with Phil English about scrapyard ships,further more when a partial view of a scrapyard ship is the unique photo in site of that historical situation
brgds V

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »
I know of a previous avid poster of good quality shots that he had has account deleted after a shot in the category "storm pics" got deleted because of the water obstructing the full viw of the ship. (Almost the essence of a strom pic). So if obstructions can be tolerated in the two other "other categories" they certainly can be tolerated with storm pics. (as long as it is water).

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 03:36:23 PM »
Pieter,

Was it a real storm pic? Some people abuse the category by posting photos of ships in choppy seas with water obstructing the view. They're not 'storm pics' and we delete them.

Brgds
Phil

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 03:46:38 PM »
come on Phil, we cannot expect members to post a separate shot of the Beaufort scale at the same time...and yes in this case it was, because another shot of the same ship at the same occasion was accepted in the storm pics category..

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 03:54:42 PM »
Come on, Pieter. You know exactly what I mean. A storm is a storm. A bit of swell in a choppy sea is not, otherwise you'd have posted your pics of "River Trader" in the storm pics category.

It's a strange category anyway and one that really shouldn't exist if we are going to be pedantic about what constitutes a 'storm'. However, it's a Tomas Pinas legacy and contains a lot of good photos. If anyone has the time, I'd be quite happy for them all to be moved to their respective ship type categories.

Brgds
Phil

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 05:08:54 PM »
Come on, Pieter. You know exactly what I mean. A storm is a storm. A bit of swell in a choppy sea is not, otherwise you'd have posted your pics of "River Trader" in the storm pics category.

It's a strange category anyway and one that really shouldn't exist if we are going to be pedantic about what constitutes a 'storm'. However, it's a Tomas Pinas legacy and contains a lot of good photos. If anyone has the time, I'd be quite happy for them all to be moved to their respective ship type categories.

Brgds
Phil

River Trader was about force 5-6, no storm at all (but bloody cold)...but one can also take pictures at Force 10 when it cannot even be seen from a ship that the wind is blowing...I think we have to believe the poster that there was some sort of wind when he took the picture.So what I propose is (once more) a flexible approach in this and not to be more Catholic than the Pope (that is a Dutch expression..)

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 04:10:37 AM »
Bump

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk