Author Topic: Category standards: Harbour overview  (Read 10832 times)

Clydee

Re: Category standards: Harbour overview
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 06:03:38 AM »
I think it would be consistent with the sentimental outlook of shipspotters, and the research values of the site to replace the existing item 14 from SITE STANDARDS THAT APPLY TO ALL PHOTOS see http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Site%20Standards%20for%20All%20Photos

with

Photos taken fifty or more years ago may be accepted in any category or subcategory even if they do not meet Site Standards, provided the Webmaster approves.  That may be done if the vessel or location has historical or nostalgia interest.

This may require the image to be cropped and/or straightened. There may be scratches or other blemishes for removal. A good scanner would be needed for non digital images

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 06:30:15 AM »
I agree with Clyde in as such some historical photographs can be captured provided they are posted restored as needed. I feel this would enhance the interest in the site for some. I for one now have my grandfathers and dads photo albums taken from ships during the two world wars. Also an album from a Bismarck survivor given to my father. Currently I cannot post as I fear they will not meet site standards. Regards

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 01:09:33 PM »
I think it would be consistent with the sentimental outlook of shipspotters, and the research values of the site to replace the existing item 14 from SITE STANDARDS THAT APPLY TO ALL PHOTOS see http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Site%20Standards%20for%20All%20Photos

with

Photos taken fifty or more years ago may be accepted in any category or subcategory even if they do not meet Site Standards, provided the Webmaster approves.  That may be done if the vessel or location has historical or nostalgia interest.

This may require the image to be cropped and/or straightened. There may be scratches or other blemishes for removal. A good scanner would be needed for non digital images

While I fully agree with what you are saying, I think this item 14 goes beyond the topic of this thread, which deals with harbour views, and therefore also those taken less than 50 years ago.
And I do not like the idea of another item for specific Webmaster approval. His plate is filled enough already.

Offline jackosan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 12:34:39 AM »
Sorry this is late but I just came across that great photo of Queen Elizabeth and the various comments.
I certainly think that there should be some category covering ship's activities in ports (after all, the purpose of most commercial ships is to load & discharge their cargoes - including passengers!) and the current standards for Harbour overview don't allow photos showing a closer look at such activities. Perhaps have a category for "ports & harbours" with "harbour overview" as one sub-category and another for "ships' activities in ports" or some-such for photos like that of QE

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk