ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Harbour pilots - method of boarding.  (Read 10445 times)
Captain Ted
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 12:53:31 pm »

@ Wade,,and don,t forget the pilot ladders after bulkers loaded grain. Usually the ladders are covered but that dust gets anywhere and can be quite dirty. Washing them makes them wet and sometimes leaves here and there a kind of grim. Can be very dangerous, one tries to clean them or keep them clean, but nonetheless using them and keeping them both not as easy as it may look.
Report to moderator   Logged

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!
WadeArmstrong
Capt Wade Armstrong
Photo Corrections
Just popping in

Pearl Harbor Pilot

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 08:37:48 pm »

@Wade Have you ever boarded a submarine? Firstly, I always thought that the military were a fairly suspicious bunch & wouldn't allow pilots on board. Secondly, due to the curvature of the hull, I'm guessing there's no easy way except for a long-jump to gain a foothold.
I board submarines on a daily basis.  Best method is a brow rigged from the pilot boat or tug to the submarine's deck.  Second best is waiting until the tug is secured alongside, then going across the rounded hull with the aid of a long and sturdy boat hook.  Jumping is a bad idea, they have been underwater and the rubber hull tiles are slick with growth, a recipe for an unplanned dunking.
MattB
Home away from home

It's me and you may find me annoying.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 10:57:55 am »

I didn't realise the subs had rubber tiles. Is that common on all submarines?
Trelawney
Not too shy to talk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 02:20:00 pm »

But have there been any instances/incidents where anyone has lost their footing & taken a tumble into the briny?
There must be some scary stories out there to be shared.

The pilot boat in Falmouth, England is named LK Mitchell after the pilot Laurie Mitchell who lost his life boarding a ship in foul weather in 1974. He slipped and was caught between the two hulls. In 1978 a new pilot boat was launched for the port - and named after him. She is still in work in Falmouth as the #2 boat for the harbor pilots.

http://www.businesscornwall.co.uk/latest-news/pilot-vessel-lk-mitchell-back-in-action-123for news of the refurbishment and rededication in 2009.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: