Author Topic: Harbour pilots - method of boarding.  (Read 11671 times)

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
Harbour pilots - method of boarding.
« on: September 28, 2015, 04:44:02 PM »
Hello there,

I was wondering what the preferred method of boarding a vessel is for pilots, personally or in general?
I'm guessing that for Captains of vessels, any method would be advantageous just as long as the pilot managed to get aboard !

But have there been any instances/incidents where anyone has lost their footing & taken a tumble into the briny?
There must be some scary stories out there to be shared.

Kind regards,

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Harbour pilots - method of boarding.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
Hi Mattyboy,

There are a few videos on YouTube of pilots boarding which may answer some of your question.

Cheers. 

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 10:07:52 PM »
Well Mattyboy

now and then it goes the wrong way,, in Houston a pilot died loosing his footing and fall into the water some years back. Not sure I think the same happened at SW pass the entrance into the Mississippi River. I am sure it happens all over the world. After all , stepping from a small pilot boat onto a ladder which moves with the vessel which has it down the side of the hull is a dangerous job.
Just look at Chris Howels pictures he takes now and then out there !!!!

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline WadeArmstrong

• Capt Wade Armstrong
  • Photo Corrections
  • Just popping in
  • Pearl Harbor Pilot (Retired)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 06:18:59 AM »
As a pilot, I prefer:
1.  a low side-port over a high deck.
2.  A fixed installed ladder (sometimes on the stern) over a portable pilot ladder.
3.  A sturdy ladder over a flimsy ladder (I have destroyed a couple of sub-standard pilot ladders).
4.  A ladder that lays flush against the hull over a ladder that hangs away from the hull in mid-air.
5.  Boarding in sheltered water over boarding in rough seas.
6.  For large ships, an elevator instead of eight levels of stairs.
7.  Because the threat of going in the water is always present, warm tropical water with minimal currents over frigid northern waters with strong currents.

Clydee

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:29:50 AM »
Thank you Wade for the summary.  I think you must be brave as well as fit.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »
@ Wade,, you forgot with "fresh brewed coffee on the bridge instead of instant " !!  :-))

btw,,where you are as pilot ?

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »
There was a car carrier that used to visit Hobart where the pilot hopped off the pilot launch into a man cage that was lowered by a crew member in it to the deck level of the pilot launch before being
lifted 15 decks.  Where he then had a short walk up to the bridge only have to climb 1 set of stairs.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »
@MattyBoy,,, as per Wade,,those ships are boarded via tug boat from the stern not via pilot boat.

Nets would be more hinderance then help!!
I am pretty sure that there was someone watching, one of the things I always do, being outside on the
out wing and watch the pilot boarding. Of course possibly nowadays as not "not needed" anymore, just push a button. Also possible that the ship has cameras in the wing so that one can follow the action from inside.

Offline WadeArmstrong

• Capt Wade Armstrong
  • Photo Corrections
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
Here is a shot of a pilot boarding via a good pilot ladder on a clean hull in good weather, many of the risks mitigated, but still quite a climb.

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 09:32:16 PM »
There are different schools of thought on gloves, some prefer not to use them as in their opinion they can get a better grip without them.

Offline WadeArmstrong

• Capt Wade Armstrong
  • Photo Corrections
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 10:04:37 PM »
Agreed on the gloves.  I only wear them where I expect a really dirty ladder (on semi-submersibles fouled with seaweed or barnacles).

jimmcquarrie

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »
Think There are rungs on side for climbing up

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 12:53:31 PM »
@ Wade,,and don,t forget the pilot ladders after bulkers loaded grain. Usually the ladders are covered but that dust gets anywhere and can be quite dirty. Washing them makes them wet and sometimes leaves here and there a kind of grim. Can be very dangerous, one tries to clean them or keep them clean, but nonetheless using them and keeping them both not as easy as it may look.

Offline WadeArmstrong

• Capt Wade Armstrong
  • Photo Corrections
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 08:37:48 PM »
@Wade Have you ever boarded a submarine? Firstly, I always thought that the military were a fairly suspicious bunch & wouldn't allow pilots on board. Secondly, due to the curvature of the hull, I'm guessing there's no easy way except for a long-jump to gain a foothold.
I board submarines on a daily basis.  Best method is a brow rigged from the pilot boat or tug to the submarine's deck.  Second best is waiting until the tug is secured alongside, then going across the rounded hull with the aid of a long and sturdy boat hook.  Jumping is a bad idea, they have been underwater and the rubber hull tiles are slick with growth, a recipe for an unplanned dunking.

Offline Trelawney

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
But have there been any instances/incidents where anyone has lost their footing & taken a tumble into the briny?
There must be some scary stories out there to be shared.

The pilot boat in Falmouth, England is named LK Mitchell after the pilot Laurie Mitchell who lost his life boarding a ship in foul weather in 1974. He slipped and was caught between the two hulls. In 1978 a new pilot boat was launched for the port - and named after him. She is still in work in Falmouth as the #2 boat for the harbor pilots.

http://www.businesscornwall.co.uk/latest-news/pilot-vessel-lk-mitchell-back-in-action-123for news of the refurbishment and rededication in 2009.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk