ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Topic 8: Borders and frames  (Read 3030 times)
davidships
Webmaster
Top Poster

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2015, 10:02:07 pm »

The site standard currently reads:

Images with borders or frames will be accepted PROVIDED

1. The border or frame does not dominate the view of the ship

2. The ship part of the image meets resolution requirements.

3. The size of the ship in the image is acceptable in relation to the total image including the border.

4. They otherwise comply with Site Standards that apply to all photos.

5. They do not include decorations such as flowers or animation or watermarks or other words.

Should “does not dominate the view of the ship” be changed to something like “has minimal impact on the overall image”?

Please add your views on this topic below, before 23 October 2015.
Report to moderator   Logged
Tuomas Romu
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:31:51 am »

Why should we allow frames at all?
Phil English
Photo Administrator
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 10:38:08 am »

I'm in favour of disallowing borders which have been digitally added. However, I notice that a few members post photos scanned from very old prints, which have a border. Either they don't know how or can't be bothered to crop out the border. What do we do about those?

Brgds
Phil
Tuomas Romu
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 11:00:41 am »

However, I notice that a few members post photos scanned from very old prints, which have a border.

I think borders can be allowed in case of scanned vintage prints. However, digital cameras do not produce any borders.
Tobias S. Holland
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 07:29:05 am »

I believe the inclusion of borders and frames on photos should be left up to the photographer and as the site standard currently suggests, but I think their appearance on an image should be kept to a minimum.

Should “does not dominate the view of the ship” be changed to something like “has minimal impact on the overall image”?

Yes, I think a change to “has minimal impact on the overall image” would be better.

However, I’m fine if the Shipspotting administrators decide to prohibit the use of borders and frames - as long as previously uploaded photos incorporating a border or frame aren’t deleted in the name of consistency, as I would imagine this would displease a few Shipspotting members.

Personally, I don’t understand the backlash against bordered or framed photos (digital or vintage) as most publications have presented photos in this manner for years. I’ve also noticed that some photo sharing websites display borders automatically on all uploaded photos via the photo gallery software - including a certain popular shipping forum.

Regards,
Tobias

Captain Ted
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 10:13:19 pm »

"minimal impact"
than you have the problem what is considered as minimal where the opinions may be widely different as
does the same with "dominate".
I think no borders and frames at all and the whole problem is not even there.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!
Dеnis
Photo Administrator
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 11:11:32 pm »

Maybe better come up with a some number within which the border/frame is acceptable?   Like not much than 20-30p from each side of the whole image?
Tuomas Romu
Home away from home

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 04:52:41 am »

Probably better give it as percentage instead of absolute dimensions, for example that the borders or frames must stay outside 95% of the total picture area.
Paul Finnigan
Photo Administrator
Not too shy to talk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 05:46:26 am »

I would prefer it if no borders or frames were allowed , this would make all the photos standard.  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:14:03 am by Paul Finnigan » Report to moderator   Logged
Tobias S. Holland
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 09:41:40 am »

I would prefer it if no borders or frames were allowed , this would make all the photos standard.   

I’m okay with this, but again, only as long as previously uploaded photos with a border or frame aren’t deleted in the name of uniformity - as these photos were uploaded in compliance with the long standing rules at the time.   

Deleting previously uploaded photos with a border or frame would see some albums, comments and details disappear from Shipspotting - this would result in creating more problems for members than the use of borders and frames ever did.

Regards,
Tobias
Paul Finnigan
Photo Administrator
Not too shy to talk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 10:32:04 pm »

I’m okay with this, but again, only as long as previously uploaded photos with a border or frame aren’t deleted in the name of uniformity - as these photos were uploaded in compliance with the long standing rules at the time.  

Deleting previously uploaded photos with a border or frame would see some albums, comments and details disappear from Shipspotting - this would result in creating more problems for members than the use of borders and frames ever did.

Regards,
Tobias

Sorry I mean only new photos not the photos that are already in the database.  
Cody Williams
Webmaster
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 04:13:19 am »

Bump
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: