Author Topic: Topic 6: Photographs showing people  (Read 12809 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Topic 6: Photographs showing people
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:59:01 PM »
The site standard currently reads:

Photographs showing people or crew in Ships Interior category or any other categories are not accepted.

Should this remain written as an overall ban?

Should the ban be limited to persons who can be specifically identified or are a large part of the view?

Please add your views on this topic below, before 23 October 2015.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:02:39 PM by davidships »

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
Re: Topic 6: Photographs showing people
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 10:19:58 PM »
I think the intention of not showing people in exterior photos of vessels is for the most part to respond to images with people posed in front of vessels. Perhaps the rule should be amended to expressly include "images are not accepted with people posed in or taking up a significant portion of the foreground." Or something along those lines.

Kind Regards, Kyle
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 10:47:26 AM »
Yes, the rule was made in response to people posting photos showing their mates, families or crew members posing in front of a ship. Pictures of ships with people in shot are acceptable provided they do not distract from the view of the ship.

The other thing that I've seen are photos where someone is in a crowd and they get the back of peoples' heads in shot. They should not be allowed either but I guess they come under the 'distract from the view of the ship' scenario

Brgds
Phil
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:51:04 AM by Phil English »

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 03:02:49 PM »
I think photos like http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2329807 should be up for deletion & member should be asked to reupload a cropped version.  The ship is not obstructed by them, but the photo obviously can be improved to look more professional.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »
Think that no persons should be in the picture beside like when they are standing/walking on decks of ferries/paxers or ships etc. They should sure not be in the foreground of the vessel, special if it can be cropped out. Backheads should not be allowed at all.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 06:41:27 AM »
I think photos like http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2329807 should be up for deletion & member should be asked to reupload a cropped version.  The ship is not obstructed by them, but the photo obviously can be improved to look more professional.

Although I take the point that this particular photo could have been cropped to remove the heads, please remember Denis that this site is NOT a professional site, and therefore we should not be aiming for professional standards. The site is for amateurs and enthusiasts, and the site standards need to reflect that, with suitable tolerances. It is particularly important that the site standards allow new and younger members to get started in the hobby without being put off by deletions accompanied by inadequate or rude explanations. Often these have not yet acquired the skills and equipment that "older hands" have, but they are the future of the hobby and this site, and need to be encouraged not put off.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 03:32:53 PM »
@simonwp

Can,t agree with you, also when it is a amateur site shouldn,t we all aim at a good if not perfect picture ?
Your argument sounds to me(no disrespect and offense) like the wave which is now in the USA going that everybody who participates in any competition gets a trophy etc because of participation, even when they are in a 200 participants marathon arrive at the finish line as number 200 !!!  It,s a kind of nonsense to me.
If persons are in the picture which can be cropped out they should and if persons are in which can,t be cropped they should not be dominate in the picture.

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »
Don't agree with you at all Captain Ted. I don't see taking photographs and posting them on here as a completion to see who can post the perfect picture. I take ship photographs as a hobby, and if I think I have taken some reasonable ones or ones that might be interesting to other, I'll post them on here, but I don't go out looking to take the perfect shot. I take ships as I see them, and if the weather is a bit bad, or the light not so good, then so be it. Other than a bit of cropping, and maybe brightening or darkening the shot, I don't do a lot of manipulation. I don't judge others photographs by how good they are, but if they are interesting. Sure I like to see good photographs, but, for example, once I've seen a good photographs of MSC Zoe, and there are plenty on this site, I'm then looking for a photographs of her from a slightly different perspective, rather than just another good shot of her passing Maasvalke.

I also feel that if you set the bar too high it discourages new entrants from posting, and, every hobby needs new entrants to make it keep going. If you only want perfect shots on here, then a lot of people will not bother to post what would otherwise be an interesting shot.

I'm not advocating a free for all, there has to be certain minimum standards, for, example, the shot that has been referred to in this thread should have had the back of the heads cropped out. What I'm saying is that whatever standards are set, they shouldn't be so high that only those with top of the range equipment, or who have the time, inclination, and skills to manipulate their photographs, can meet those standards. The site would become very sterile and boring if that was the case.

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »
Never submit photos to Shipspotting.com as they come from the camera. Always review for possible enhancement, to meet site standards (see FAQs) or personal satisfaction.

I'm sure most of members usually process their photos if such is possible before uploading to make their albums be as good as anyone's else. Only those who are either in a hurry or unaware of the rules or don't care much usually dump whatever floating stuff they have on their cameras.
If people can be edited out of the pic, I don't see how it's too much for a member.  Lastly, a photo admin or someone else might offer some help with editing.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 08:01:25 AM »
Of course encouragement is a good thing, especially encouragement to meet the site standards. If someone cannot crop a photo then they should be advised how to do so. The photo with heads in the frame is simply not acceptable.

Brgds
Phil
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:22:48 AM by Phil English »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
Agree fully with Phil and others
No heads in a picture and if they can,t be cropped out don,t upload them !!!!

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 04:12:50 AM »
Bump

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk