Author Topic: Hong Kong  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Goran Isacsson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Hong Kong
« on: September 13, 2015, 03:18:58 PM »
Hi
Could someone please give me some useful tips regarding shipspotting in Hong Kong. Are there any good spots for photographing ships? Are there any decent hotels overlooking the harbour?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Goran

Offline B.Clark

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 05:55:17 PM »
maybe the Star ferry and a harbour tour?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:58:11 PM by B.Clark »

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:26:11 AM »
Harbor tour is definitely a good idea.

There are many hotels overlooking the harbor - and their prices for a night's stay may challenge the price of an entry level DSLR... :) Or not. I remember staying at Ibis Fortress Hill, with decent views from higher floors.

My usual spot is a stretch of Victoria Road on the island west, overlooking the Lamma Channel. There is also a small viewing point closer to the eastern part of the channel below Victoria road (can be identified on Google Maps). Of course, this point is good only in the 1st half of day, due to sun.

There is also a ferry ride to the Lamma Island, passing through Lamma channel and looking at all the shipping there.

Rgds

Vlad

Offline libertyshiplad

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »
I think a spot that would be hard to beat would be the promenade and seafront at Pok Fulam.
This is around the Cyberport and Bel-Air, off the Cyberport Road.
The anchorage is opposite ,cargo handling going on all the time,ships and interesting craft passing most of the time,the shipping really close to the seafront.
At Cyberport there are places to eat,a supermarket,toilets,and there is a Hotel,probably a bit pricey,but there must be other accommodation around.Also places within easy walking distance up the hillside for more panoramic views.
If you have a telescope it's amazing how easy it is to read names of vessels the far side of the anchorage,no shimmer at all
Great place.
Colin

Offline Goran Isacsson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »
Thanks to all  for your good advice. Will be very useful for my upcoming trip.

Best regards
Goran

Offline Sergei Skriabin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 04:44:46 AM »
Hello!
recently I was in HK and took many shots of ships. Analized HK map and ships' routes and found a nice place - Waterfall bay Park. Buss stop (970, 973, 4) Wa Fu Lam Estate, than down to park through Waterfall Bay Road. Park has alcoves and benches, toilet, departments store is not faк to buy water. Nice waterfall is in the vicinity.

Offline DeepSeaDiver1000

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 10:57:10 PM »
Hello Goran,

Did you get any good photos of ships when you went to Hong Kong? I see you started this thread in September of 2015.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk