Author Topic: Topic 3: Distortion, enhancement and appearance  (Read 19786 times)

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Topic 3: Distortion, enhancement and appearance
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
Exiv data should not be removed from the posted picture, as it provides others with an option to see how a picture was taken, and possibly to learn from that.

In my opinion, the decision whether or not to include EXIF data in the file should be left to the photographer. If I were not giving out photographs for free, it would be an important tool for me to show that I have the original and own the copyright. Of course, RAW or other digital negative format is just as good for that, equivalent to original film negative.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »
Exiv data should not be removed from the posted picture, as it provides others with an option to see how a picture was taken, and possibly to learn from that.

In my opinion, the decision whether or not to include EXIF data in the file should be left to the photographer. If I were not giving out photographs for free, it would be an important tool for me to show that I have the original and own the copyright. Of course, RAW or other digital negative format is just as good for that, equivalent to original film negative.

Tuomas, if you post photographs here in full size, you are effectively giving them away for free. Many camaras still produce jpeg sizes that are well within the site limitations. (I have no idea about toys like phones and tablets, but these I do not consider to be cameras in the first place,  :)

You can also choose to resize a photograph, and post it, and you can still leave the EXIF data on there, as you will have the original full size version.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 04:37:55 PM »
Tuomas, if you post photographs here in full size, you are effectively giving them away for free.

Well, I was thinking more in legal sense. If you need a proof of copyright, having the originals complete with EXIF data helps. Of course, just having slightly resized versions on the website is also sufficient.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 11:24:18 PM »
I don't recall seeing the issue of "tilted" photos addressed, but many pictures here on site were not taken on "even keel" - or at least even horizon.

I understand that maybe not everybody will know how to "rotate" the picture in some software, so how about giving the mods the right to do it?

Offline Tristin Woolf

• Just can't stay away
  • Great Lakes Maritime Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 02:26:32 AM »
Here is an example of what I was talking about earlier with helis and go pros.

Credit of photos goes to Denis O'Hara
Tristin W.

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 08:26:44 PM »
I'd say, enhancement is allowed as long as the photo after such doesn't clearly/obviously look overenhanced/unrealistic.

I think someone should post an example here:
1) original photo
2) same photo but enhanced in a way you won't notice it was enhanced (if you haven't seen the original one)
3) same photo, overenhanced that it's obvious to anyone

If a camera has a feature applying which the original photo is already enhanced in some way - it must be in a way it would still look realistic (close as how you would see the same scene in reality).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:29:40 PM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 08:57:27 PM »
like this Denis?
1. as from camera (jpeg)
2. slightly enhanced and sharpened
3. overenhanced, looks dramatic, but unnatural.

all shots at 50% of the original

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »
Thanks, Pieter - that's pretty much it: second photo looks much better than original one, but it still looks as if it IS an original; 3rd is where it's obviously too much & it's where a photo admin would begin to question it's acceptance.
Regards,
Denis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk