Author Topic: Topic 3: Distortion, enhancement and appearance  (Read 19785 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Topic 3: Distortion, enhancement and appearance
« on: September 05, 2015, 01:04:48 PM »
The site standard currently reads:
Photos taken with fish eye lens that produce distorted images are not allowed.
If a digital photograph that has been enhanced and appears as good quality at screen size and also remains as good quality when enlarged then it has been done correctly, if on the other hand when enlarged it becomes corrupted and unnatural in appearance then it has been over enhanced and will not be allowed.

Are there other types of distortion that should be mentioned?

Is it possible to describe acceptable limits for digital enhancement?  Would inclusion of examples be helpful?

What degree of high-dynamic-range (HDR) imaging should be permitted?

Please add your views on this topic below, before 5 October 2015.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Topic 3: Distortion, enhancement and appearance
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 02:12:45 PM »
HDR should be permitted, as long as it goes in a separate/new category, "HDR photos".

:)

(Good HDR should not have problems with this, as with good HDR it's hard to notice that it's HDR at all.)

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 03:05:47 PM »
Enhanced or not, all photos must look realistic & not some FLickr-ish.

Fake black & white photos - one might make such on a attention-grabbing grounds to have more hits or comments. Sometimes a b/w photo looks better than a normal one though.  Should there be a rule that if you post a b/w photo, you also post an original?  But the site is "ship spotting" which means share your ship pic of how you saw the ship yourself.  So fake, over-enhanced, clearly unrealistic photos shouldn't be welcome, I think.
Regards,
Denis

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 08:04:51 PM »
Current standard OK

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 08:56:44 PM »
current standard for me ok too
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 11:10:05 PM »
I agree with Lappino, there should be no B&W photos if they are taken on a digital camera to gain more attention.

Photoshop or other photo editing software has a lot of capabilities and I think there are a few people who use every single function on their photos before uploading them here. Again just like the last topic in regards to sharpness I think the end result should be quite similar to what you would have seen if you were there shooting the ship yourselves. There is a photo in the top pics today that I think is over enhanced. I could be wrong but i think it is the use of the detailing function (I very rarely use photoshop) and the image looks odd and unrealistic.

Regards Robbie

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 11:41:43 PM »
I think sometimes photos are overcropped so that all we see is one long narrow strip with hardly any sea or sky.

Tony

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 09:06:50 AM by Tony des Landes »

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 05:42:29 AM »
Agree current standards are fine, but do we need a minimum size for cropped images. And should shots with items such as tugs cloned out be declared?

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »
I think sometimes photos are overcropped so that all we see is one long narrow strip with hardly any sea or sky.

Tony

I saw not long ago there was a number of overcropped photos where there was barely any sea or sky & the ship was only some 5-10 pixels from the photo frame. It's understandable if one wants to crop out the undesired parts, but if such overcropping is done for attention-grabbing purposes then it's ridiculous.
Should there be a sorta rule that there should be at least some 100p (or a different number) distance between the ship & the frame (from above & below or left & right) ?
Regards,
Denis

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 03:26:53 PM »
The current standard is o.k.

I think, if a photo is enhanced in such way, that it makes the ship look natural and does not make the colors etc. look in a way, like it never looks in reality, it is o.k.

It is in my opinion ok, to remove seagulls, some things are in the way, as long it is not possible to see this in a photo.

HDR images, I am against them, because they make the photo look un-natural, the sky and ship look like a drawing and not like they do look in reality. It is good, that these photos are not allowed because this is a page for photos and not for "piece of art". and "playground for photo-editing program".

Framing should also not be, just for the ake of making all photos here look the same.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 09:57:17 AM »
I agree with Lappino, there should be no B&W photos if they are taken on a digital camera to gain more attention.

I might be stretching it a bit, but what if the user has a digital camera that can only take black and white photographs? Or, what if the member is taking photographs today using b&w film?

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 10:53:29 AM »
What is wrong with a bit of enhancement ie, cropping a bit off the images, adjusting the light/colour as long as it does not make the image over enhanced?

Offline Tristin Woolf

• Just can't stay away
  • Great Lakes Maritime Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 02:24:02 AM »
GoPros have fisheye lenses which is right now not allowed as it is stated. But I think that GoPro pictures should be allowed even though they have fisheye lenses because GoPro cameras can take amazing photos in places that a normal camera cannot like drones, RC Helicopters, etc.
Tristin W.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 03:22:36 AM »
Do we really need to allow photographs from consumer-grade drones? I personally have experience from DJI Inspire 1 and in my opinion the 12 Mpix RAW files were not of good enough technical quality for this site.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »

I might be stretching it a bit, but what if the user has a digital camera that can only take black and white photographs? Or, what if the member is taking photographs today using b&w film?

The Leica Monochrome takes B&W only, but is horrendously expensive. Today's B&W film is the same as old B&W film ,so this should of course be allowed.

Some other points:

I am in favour of an aspect ratio, to avoid shots with no sky and sea. When HDR becomes recognisable as HDR, it has been wrongly applied, and should be disallowed. Distorted images should not be allowed, unless we have fishes among our member spotters....

I tend to edit out windmills from the background, which are quite prominent in Rotterdam these days. Seagulls are part of the natural environment, and should be left in. Normally you would see them in your viewfinder, so if you don't want them in the picture, wait a little.

Exiv data should not be removed from the posted picture, as it provides others with an option to see how a picture was taken, and possibly to learn from that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk