Author Topic: Introduction - What it's all about - How to respond  (Read 183436 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Introduction - What it's all about - How to respond
« on: September 04, 2015, 04:56:30 PM »
The purpose of the review is to consider whether the existing standards and rules, indexed at http://www.shipspotting.com/support/index.php, are appropriate and necessary
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:09:09 PM by davidships »

Online Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction - What it's all about - How to respond
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:56:12 PM »
Hello David

I have made the translation to the Spanish language of this topic, being as follows:

The purpose of the review is to consider whether the existing standards and rules, indexed at http://www.shipspotting.com/support/index.php, are appropriate and necessary

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:31:20 PM »
Gracias Tomislav

David

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:07:35 PM »
Three further general site standard topics affecting images have now been added for members' comments.

Topics 1-5 are still open for your views, but will be closing soon.

Thank you in advance for your contributions.

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »
It seems desirable to amend all the rules so as to give the admins a little more breathing space.
Occasionally, in the past, aggravation was caused by an admin actually taking refuge behind the rules. The excuse was seen that "the rules say so-and-so, therefore I had no other option than to delete". That way, unusual or somewhat controversial photos that caught the attention and interest of many members were taken down, regardless of loud and numerous protests.
Therefore a rule should not state squarely "...will be deleted". It should read "may be deleted", "may not be admitted" or something to that effect. That way the occasional exception will have the chance it deserves.
This site is about photographs that show ships to their best advantage. Sometimes that can be a little more tricky than even the best ruler or admin in the world could be able to foresee.
Uwe

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 04:13:11 PM »
I think that before the site standards can be properly reviewed and set, there needs to be a clear definition of exactly what the site is about, particularly around photographs. There seems to be two basic schools of though on this amongst members, judging by this, and other recent forum topics. There are those who think that the standard of photographs should be high, and those who feel that there should be a bit of flexibility around the standards, without it being a total free for all.

Once you have established this definition the standards can then be set to meet that, but, until you do that it will be very difficult to set any meaningful ones. Define the site, then define the standards to meet that.

I'm in the latter camp, after all the site is called Shipspotting.com, not Excellentshipphotography.com, but I accept that others won't share that view.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 02:25:34 AM »
The various standards that apply to specific categories only have now been posted for comment, for contributions by 13 November

The first batch of site standards have now closed for comments and we are preparing a summary of views for consideration by Admins.  We will publish that when ready, together with revised wording where necessary.

There are still a few days left to comment on Site Standards 6, 7 and 8.

There are also a considerable number of rules/procedure relating to the submission of images and the required accompanying information.  We will be considering these too in the near future and seeking members' comments.

Simon raised an interesting question in the previous contribution.  It seems to me that the underlying philosophy in the past, and generally shared now, is that the site is focused on the publication of "good quality photographs" at a level which can encompass a wide range of membership and of image type/age.  This is, I think, intended to be encapsulated in the following on the About Shipspotting introduction:
Site standards are determined with criteria that can be met by members with a wide range of experience, camera gear and shipspotting locations. Site standards provide an important element of consistent quality control for the site which is frequently reviewed.

Comments on this can be posted on this thread.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:28:44 AM by davidships »

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 08:20:17 PM »
Well, it was a hype about everything in this board a few months ago...
Slowly the activity vanished, all topics closed. What now? Anything changed?
Regards,
Denis

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 06:51:46 AM »
Hi Denis,

I am sure that David and Clyde amongst others are preparing any alterations.It won't be a quick job as David is still working and not a retired man like myself.

best regards

Derek

Offline Michael Wirth

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »
I think Simon made a good point.

Perhaps it is sometimes more helpful for our goal of showing good pictures to leave a not so perfect picture on the site and give a hint how it would be a better picture than to just delete it.

Not every one of us comes with great experience or expensive gear (not that the latter is really necessary for good photos but it helps some times ...) and i got the feeling in the past that some people got discouraged from posting by the practice of deletions.

I understand that this is no photography school ...

I was hesitant of starting to post myself not at least because of this.
Only recently i decided to "open my archives".

Best regards,
Michael.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk