Author Topic: How did you find Shipspotting.com?  (Read 5936 times)

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
How did you find Shipspotting.com?
« on: August 30, 2015, 01:10:37 PM »
Out of interest/curiosity, how did either of you find this site in the first place & what made you to come here over & over?  ;D

For me it was in autumn 2007 when I finally got my first (although slow) internet & went on searching for various ship pics I could find, saving the interesting ones in case I'd like to try modeling some. I was mostly coming across some small sites, writing down the url's of good ones. Of course, main thing was searching for photos of all ships I could remember seeing in Kaliningrad over the years.  That was until I googled for OOSTERSCHELDEBORG which I saw in 2003 & in results there was a photo (no longer available) from here, so after browsing around a little I understood this site has more ships than I could view in one go compared to those little private sites! So I was coming again & again, mostly as a lurker & mostly checking the Heavy Lift Vessels & Floating Cranes categories since those were of utmost interest to me.  Eventually in July 2008 I got my camera, could make pics & finally registered here...

Regards,
Denis
Regards,
Denis

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
Re: How did you find Shipspotting.com?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »
I was told about the site by a colleague whilst looking for some information on a ship we had due, that would have been in 2008 I guess, because that is when I registered. I never really had the photo bug myself, which is a petty as I have seen quite a few ships up close working on the pilot boats in the Bristol Channel. Still better late than never!

Regards, Brian.
Blistering barnacles...

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 02:40:03 AM »
I got to know about the site after my son got me birthday present of a DELL  vostro 1015 laptop and started scanning the internet through Google, being a shiplover, an ex dockyard worker a son of a former Royal Navy man,the first thing that I searched for was naval photos and photos of shipping in Malta harbours, and there in some link or photo I found out about the site, having a collection of photos, mostly taken by me over the years I decided to start putting these photos on the site as I had found out that that few photos of ships in Maltese harbours were on the site, that was some 4 0r 5 years ago, and now it is a daily occurance for me to look up the site and put pictures on it.Throughout these years I have made numerous friends from all over the world and I would not change this site for any other .I have browsed various similar(??) sites but no way they are up to the site standard and number of pics. I hope that someone else from Malta starts putting pics on the site as now that I am now in my 70s. I would like someone else to take over to offer photos from Malta harbours.
Thanks to all the friends I have made over the site over the years and thank you for all the comments,mostly positive , you have been most helpful,I dare not mention anyone as I may forget someone. So Thank you all.

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 04:06:25 AM »
Tomas found me, I received an email from him promoting the site and joined from there.  Site was a lot smaller more harmonious back then, never had long drawn out debates in the forum, no acusing members.

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »
Tomas Pinas sent me personal email to my own website (which I stopped updating).
Somewhere in 2004. So more than a decade ago. Times flies.
Tomas was the founder of shipspotting.com. Later it became to a too big job for him.

Since a few years I only posts my new pictures on this excellent site.
And stopped my own page as it was taken to much time.

regards
Frans

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 11:29:50 AM »
I found this website when I was searching for ship photos, I am member since September, 2004 when Tomas was the webmaster, of course that the site has evolutionated since then and I clearly remenber that the forum was very active by commenting the newbuildings, ships scrapped, information about ships and so on.

Regards

Tomi.

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 06:07:41 PM »
It is so long ago, that I almost forgot :D :D

But if I remember right, a shipspotter I know mentioned, that he is uploading photos on shipspotting.com and then I thought, it is a good idea, and started too. Before and still, the other site where I am uploading photos is www.vesseltracker.com

Greetings,

Cornelia

Offline jdap

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 04:07:36 PM »
Arrived here when I realised that I had collected a meager set of photos of vessels taken in Angola while beacon hunting for OLL - the Online List of Lights (www.listoflights.org), and thought those photos might be of interest to others... certainly not the kind of vessels you would see around everyday, in any case. Did a Google search, and ShipSpotting immediately stood out as the website to try. Posted what I had, and ever since, whenever I am close to the coast (which does not happen often...), I try to document what I see around me and upload what I think might be of interest to somebody visiting the website for pleasure, or for reference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk