Author Topic: Making money from free photo's  (Read 23283 times)

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Making money from free photo's
« on: August 09, 2015, 05:18:07 AM »
I would like to highlight a issue I have come across when perusing the internet. There is a eBay member who is listing photo's taken from this site and is selling them as 6x4 prints. I know this site has a rule about copyright but is there something we can do to stop this sort of thing happening? I know a few people put watermarks on the bottom of prints but can we somehow increase the security on this site like Flickr does and you need to contact the photographer to get a copy of a photo.
I have no problem sharing images for others to enjoy or to help fill in some gaps in databases but i draw a line with people trying to profit from my photos.

Regards Robbie

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
Re: Making money from free photo's
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 05:41:53 AM »
Hi Robbie

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. I'll let the other three webmasters know about this.

I think the best course of action would be to report the member to eBay. If you like, you can send me the link to their profile and I can tackle that.

Unfortunately, there is no way to stop people from taking our photos once we upload them to the internet

jimmcquarrie

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 08:55:07 AM »
Go to Image comments on camera-type in e-mail address or other ID-go to properties on thumbnail then details It's there

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »
On ebay you can also report "forbidden" goods for sale and items under copyright fall under this category too.

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 02:37:35 PM »
If you post the users ID on here then we can all complain, I will as it's happened to me, it's pretty common for people to do this, as others have said it's the downside of posting your photo's for the world to see and it doesn't matter what safeguards you take they will find a way around them, all we can do is make life difficult for them and I'm all for that!!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 04:47:38 PM »
@ Robbie

do you hve a link ?

thx,,capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »
We need a link to the photos in question please
Peter

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 03:01:15 AM »
I've contacted Cody about this with a link to the seller but here it is as well. this person has numerous photos for sale which are copies of ships from here. I've reported a few of them but I don't have the time to go through all their items.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody-iow

Offline Jon Godsell

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
I've had a quick look at this guys offerings, He appears to be a postcard dealer based at Cowes IOW, and I would estimate that at least 90% of the first ten pages are rip off's.

Jon.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
Some of the photos offered are credited to Malcolm Cranfield with permission. As he is also posting his own photos here it is not surprising that they are the same.  Others appear the same as images posted here from members' collections but not taken by them, so any suspected illegitimacy of those prints may be difficult to establish. However it does seem that there are rip-offs also.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:28:16 PM by davidships »

Offline Tony Garner

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »
This person approached me a few years ago, saying he would like to sell postcards of my photos on this site and that he would pay me a commission for each card sold. On this basis, I gave him permission and received small amounts of money from him on a regular basis. About 2 years ago, he said sales were falling and he asked if I had any more photos he could sell. I told him 'no' and since that time, I have heard nothing more from him and not received any further payments. I don't know if he is still selling any of my photos.

Tony.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 11:48:13 PM »
hi all

may be rip offs,,but most look like public domain pictures, therefore everybody can use them incl selling as printed post cards, I did not find one which was from this site !!!!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »
Allan Onions' photo of Coast Lines' BUFFALO http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=627611 is being offered for sale by Woody-IoW on ebay
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:46:50 AM by mumbles »

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 07:51:27 AM »
Allan Onions' photo of Coast Lines' BUFFALO http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=627611 is being offered for sale by Woody-IoW on ebay

It's not Allan's photo as seen on SS, looks like a later date but in same location.  :)

Allan has confirmed its not his photo  brgds Derek Sands
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:12:12 PM by DEREK SANDS »

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 10:30:21 AM »

Hmmm, I've now looked for 2 days (from time to time) at the relevant eBay photo catalogue and I'm much confused ..... what is exactly the specific problem with this eBay concerning us ... I can not find it out by myself !
Can anybody bring me light with anything concrete, even better with some self-explanatory examples, that we members of Shipspotting.com. should seriously fear of in the case of this eBay ............

However, the attention, regular and continuous  attention and alert, is always welcome for protection of  the Members' interests of this esteemed website Shipspotting.com.

I would moreover suggest,, dear Members, please do not hesitate to advise of anything that is not in good order for our interests, and for the interests of this website in general ....... therefore, thank you Robbie for your attempt and effort !

Regards (J)

... got married to ships

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk