Author Topic: Unknown Vessels  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Adrian Ford

• Vice Webmaster
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Unknown Vessels
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:12:57 AM »
Hello All

Can you please remember that any photograph where the name is not known goes into the MYSTERY category and not the vessel type category.
Thank you in advance

Best Wishes
Adrian
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:27:54 AM by DEREK SANDS »
Adrian Ford admin for Shipping, Ancient, Museum, Steam, Barge Carriers, Barges, Offshore, Ships under repair or conversion ,  Research,  Special Purpose Ships, Storm sections, views are mine only.

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Vessels
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 10:24:40 AM »
Even if the Unknown vessel is in the "Ships Under Construction" category?   There are many such ones from long ago, still not identified.
Regards,
Denis

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:18:47 AM »
Just to flag up that I think that we should have a proper discussion about the question of so-called "mysteries".  My view is that images that otherwise meet site standards should not automatically be deleted just because a year has passed.  I don't think that it would be too difficult to frame some criteria for retention/deletion.
Perhaps when we get nearer to consulting on the category standards for Mystery Vessels. 

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 01:35:09 AM »
Well David,, I never understood that rule,,mostly those are ships which are often only once on this site or very rare ships like converted shrimper to general cargo ships often done in south america and also africa/asia. But because the names are sometimes not there they get rigorous deleted after one year. I had at least 50-60 such vessels over time deleted because of that rule.
Absolutely not understandable. Much more important is it to have the 200th picture of the Britannia or the 600 of a E-class vessel !!!!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 08:11:30 AM »
100% agree with you on this David and Ted. We've lost photos of many rare and interesting vessels over the years because no-one has properly reviewed the rule book for many years. I never really understood this particular rule anyway!

Cheers,
Phil

Clydee

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 08:51:44 AM »
I suggest that the opinions of Ilhan and miraflores be obtained.  They have extraordinary research skills and a very deep knowledge base. They have a remarkable record of positive identifications

My recollection is that if a Mystery Ship is not identified within 3-6 months, then it is unlikely to be ever identified.

If the category is regularly reduced by age limitation then the smaller quantity is less difficult for all members to review.

Perhaps instead of permanently deleting an unidentified vessel it could be transferred to a subcategory created for good site standard quality photos for Mystery Ships not identified after x months
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:34:43 AM by Clyde Dickens »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk