Author Topic: Reefers Summer Flower and Summer Meadow to lay up Falmouth  (Read 16083 times)

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Reefers Summer Flower and Summer Meadow to lay up Falmouth
« on: August 04, 2015, 02:20:08 PM »
Above Reefers both heading for Falmouth for lay up (unconfirmed) with ETAs of 5/8 1030am and 7/8 0800.
Looks like they may have had a reprieve from the scrapyard to continue trading next season ?
The 3rd sister ship Summer Bay dropped off AIS 36 days ago so not sure what she is up to. The 4th vessel in the series Summer Wind unfortunately went for scrap on the 10th September last year in Alang

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Reefers Summer Flower and Summer Meadow to lay up Falmouth
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »
SUMMER BAY reported sold last year to Yongxiang Hong Kong Co Ltd (mng Haoda Shipping Management International), Hong Kong and renamed YONG XIANG 7 under Cambodia flag. Reg Phnom Penh, ON 1585495, c/s XUKD6, MMSI 515863000).  Some AIS sources showing name, flag etc still as SUMMER BAY

Haoda already managing YONG XIANG 8 (ex-WEALTH REEFER, IMO 8609280) and YONG HANG 9 (ex-TROPICAL REEFER, IMO 8408870) - both also Cambodia flag. Looks like a trading sale.

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:59:31 PM »
Well that slipped me by  ??? Took me a while but I have found reference to her now with Haoda Shipping Management International Co Ltd in Hong Kong. Hope she continues to trade, although as you say AIS reliable as yet to figure that out !

Offline B.Clark

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
Summer Flower is indeed now in a misty Falmouth Bay

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 07:53:40 AM »
SUMMER MEADOW just picking pilot up at 0900L

Offline PietB

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:20:36 AM »
Thank you Mike. Interesting information. Would you know where the best location to see/photograph these two might be?
With thanks.

Piet

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »
Hi Piet

I would say King Harry Ferry would get you quite close. Or you can go over to East side of river (first left after exiting ferry and go to Smugglers Cove pub (?) nd a five minute walk will get you within 800m
BUT the best way is to do what I did and hire a kayak for Loe beach and paddle up to get with touching distance
MIKE

Offline B.Clark

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 02:31:17 PM »
If the tides are right you can get a ferry from Falmouth to Truro which will take you within touching distance of these reefers. Even if you can't get right up to Truro you can normally reach Malpas which will still take you past them. Both vessels are up there now. Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:33:16 PM by B.Clark »

Offline PietB

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 05:35:01 PM »
Many thanks to both of you for the excellent advice.

Offline bloomdido

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 06:02:14 PM »
Many thanks to both of you for the excellent advice.

My dad was cheif engineer on those two when they were new.visited them mysef a few times,really nice big reefers,its great to se the old girls still going.

Offline reeferskip

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://shipspotting.com
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 06:43:58 PM »
I first got involved with these ships in the late 1980s when the Fleet Manager of United Brands asked me to inspect EDYTH L & ELLEN D which were managed by Tokomaru at that time.
I was not particularly impressed with them but they were built "like battleships"! During the late 1990s the ships had been purchased by Lief Hoegh for operation in his Cool Carriers fleet & the cargo gear was enhanced for handling loaded 40 foot reefer containers. The ships were chartered to Del Monte Ecuador-California banana & melon run & I worked them many times at Port Hueneme CA. They are a bit long in the tooth now and with very thirsty engines; I wonder if owners will be able to trade them next year?   

Offline bloomdido

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »
hi was that bill burgham you were dealing with?,they were a massive improvement compared to the m boat fleet that fyffes operated,but with inferior accomadation.my dad sailed on them till 92 when he took early retirement.i wondered why the cranes were swapped out,thanks for letting me know.my dad had a big part in what they were fitted out with and ive found with my expeience at sea,b+w and yanmar is a decent combo

Offline reeferskip

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 06:31:44 PM »
No, Simon Templeman was the UBC fleet manager in Cincinatti; I had worked with him at Unimarine Reefers, a Gulfeast subsidiary. Last ship I was on had a B&W 6L67GBE of 11,600bhp which gave 19.5knots. We had 4 Wartsila auxilliaries which were rather difficult &  were all in one compartment at the top of the engine room. Our exact sister ship suffered a fire in that compartment at night & the doors had not been closed as required by UMS regulation with the result that the entire accomodation block was burnt out. Fortunately no-one was hurt & a new accomodation block was built.

Offline B.Clark

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 04:39:39 PM »
Summer Meadow and Summer Flower are clearly visible when on the King Harry Ferry ( approx 250 yards away from ferry)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:41:11 PM by B.Clark »

Offline reeferskip

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »
SUMMER BAY as YONG XIANG 7 now lying at or off Zhoushan.

Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk