Author Topic: Aberdeen Docks  (Read 5378 times)

Offline Darleydale

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Aberdeen Docks
« on: August 02, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »
Hi All

I will be around the Aberdeen area in October for a couple of days and wondered if anyone can help me with a good ship viewing place either for the docks or the anchorage please?

Regards

Gordon

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeen Docks
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:48:57 AM »
Hi Gordon,

Getting good shots of ships leaving and arriving is easy. You need to head for the Tory at harbour entrance (Greyhope Road). There is a car park and you have height to ensure good shots can be taken.

There is also a good spot at Pocra near the VTS when the sun is wrong for Tory.

Much of the port is fenced off and security men do patrol in vans. There are some vantage points to take photos through fences etc.

best regards

Derek

Offline Darleydale

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:04:58 PM »
Hi Derek

Brilliant! Many thanks for your help.

All best wishes

Gordon

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »
Hi Gordon,

Just to add to the already excellent advice, if it's a nice day then it's worth walking around the edge of the port from the beach/prom area, plenty of cafe's to provide you with a good start to the day and I find it easier on foot just to stop and pop a camera in the many and various places you can get a view from. It is a bit of a walk, will take you about an hour or so but can be worth it. I usually did it on a Sunday morning and provide you use common sense you will find a few open gates where you can stand and get good views, obviously PLEASE DON'T be tempted to wander onto the dock estate!! There is also an open area near the fish market area. And if you looking for a different shot, try from the multi storey car park near the Maritime museum where you can get a photo of anything moored right up in the city centre berths.

The other bit of advice is that there are NO facilities up at Tory, so make sure you have supplies.   

Hope you enjoy your visit, it's a busy port and there are usually plenty of movements, some of them just internal port shifts, but you won't get bored.

Andrew

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 01:33:51 PM »
Here is one from the car park I mentioned in my earlier reply.

Good to see ships berthed in a city centre!

Andrew

Offline Darleydale

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 02:05:44 PM »
Dear Derek and Andrew

I must thank you both for all the information. I visited Shetland for a week so had a day in Aberdeen before I went and a morning visit when I returned on the 7th. Unfortunately the return sailing on the Hjaltland was somewhat uncomfortable so I didn't spend as much time as I would have liked logging the ships.
It was just nice to see a place so busy and the photo opportunities were tremendous. Once again many thanks.

Best wishes

Gordon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk