Author Topic: Which ferry had the most modern interior for its time?  (Read 7616 times)

Offline rjdg14

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Which ferry had the most modern interior for its time?
« on: July 24, 2015, 08:03:24 AM »
Of those that I know , I'd say possibly Stena's HSS fleet, or possibly a Sealink vessel (like the Fantasia). Did you get any other ships/ferries in the 80s or early 90s with interiors like these or more modern (and possibly with branding and modern facilities)?

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Which ferry had the most modern interior for its time?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:33:22 AM »
In the 1970s and 1980s the Sweden-Finland operators Silja Line and Viking Line raised the interior d

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:34:07 AM »
An interesting question: but the words "for its time" are rather open to interpretation. Personally, I would say that the Danish ferry Hammershus, built in 1936 and used on the overnight service between Copenhagen and the island of Bornholm had the most modern interiors for its time. Likewise, the 1937-built DFDS ferry Kronprins Olav was also given very stylish and up-to-the minute modern interiors that still looked fresh twenty years later.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:09:12 AM »
What about the Danish ferries that operated from Parkeston to Esbjerg? Never traveled on one myself but did board them at the Quay. Also Blenheim from Fred Olsen on the Harwich (Parkeston Quay) to Kristiansand summer service seemed well ahead of its time?

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »
Well, as I said Derek, the question was open to interpretation. As I submitted my suggestions I thought of those lovely DFDS ships sailing out of Harwich but then it seems that all the DFDS ships on whatever routes were all very stylishly fitted out. There we are just looking at Northern Europe when there were fine ferries linking the north and south islands of New Zealand.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »
I have never been out of Europe so obviously not aware of ferries in the antipodes.
What about those in Canadian waters?

Offline canberra97

• Shiplover
  • Home away from home
  • Southampton Based Ship Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
Derek

You state that you have never been out of Europe!

I find that very strange for someone of your age, I am 11 years younger than you and I have been to 92 countries worldwide and my first visit 'outside of Europe' to New York, USA was at 18yo.

There is World out there Derek why stick to 'just' Europe, no one in my family including cousins n nephews, etc who are over 20 years younger than myself have 'just been to Europe'!

Sorry I just had to comment as I found it strange.

SEAN
Cunard Line 1983/1987
British Channel Island Ferries,B.C.I.F. 1987/1993
Geest Line 1993/1993
P&O European Ferries 1993/1993
Stena Line 1993/1996
P&O Ferries 1997/2005
Intercruises 2006/2013
Carnival Port Ops 2014
Red Funnel Ferries 2015
Intercruises 2016/2017
European Cruise Service 2017-

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 07:32:31 PM »
I believe, the ferry that had the most modern interior of its time has always been and will always be the famous gas-turbine ferry GTS Finnjet, which was not only one of the most innovative ferries in 1977 but as well hold the title for the biggest and fastest one known for a very long time.

I know some ferries from 70ies, this one had many amenities I did not find on other ones of that time, for example air condition for cabins below cardeck, sauna, variety of restaurants and very colorful and stylish interior. More info can be found here: http://www.finnjetweb.de/en/

Btw.. travelling "only" to Europe, I do not understand, what is the problem. Europe.. NOT EU, that covers many countries from North of Sweden and Finland, to the UK, Poland, down to Greece and all these countries have damn many interesting ferries and alot of them have a good history. It does not matter, how many countries you travel, it does depend what you do, when you travel. Some people travel many countries but they do it in a superficial way, some travel not so much, but do it in a deeper way, in staying long time and make friends with local people and actually try to experience and not just at a glance.. of course, some ferries have always to be included :) :) :)

I am also not sure about modern interior on the TOR-Line sisters which ran for DFDS. I know the ships as Prince and Princess of Scandinavia, nice ones but after known the Finnjet, not too innovative I think!?

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 04:01:04 AM »
The Silja Line ferries I have taken between Sweden and Turku, Finland in the early '80s were indeed pretty fancy.

I don't know whether that old Greek liner, the Lindos, that around 1971 used to run weekly between Ancona, Italy to Haifa, Israel, via Corfu, Athens, Rhodes, Limasol and Famagusta can be considered as a ferry or as sort of a cruise. I used it as a real cheap means of travel, i.e as a ferry.

Though she had a swimming pool, the meals and accommodation were rather spartan: cabins were shared accommodation: 4 people, bunk bed style.
Food was basic Greek fare; lots of black olives, but it was cheap:
Ancona-Haifa was $78 for the 3.5-day voyage inc. bed, shower and 3 meals/day. I paid an extra $15 for my motor bike.
Haifa-Athens, for example, this 2.5 day voyage cost only $36, again shared cabin + 3 meals/day.

Does anybody know what happened to this Lindos and how long this service operated?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk