Author Topic: Will not contribute any further photographs  (Read 33309 times)

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
Will not contribute any further photographs
« on: July 23, 2015, 03:18:55 PM »
Your deletion of my photograph of Seaspan Survivor self-dumping barge is the final straw.

Though this photo drew hundreds of views and several comments of information and praise from several members, Admin deleted it.

Having posted 5,200+ photographs over the years, obviously they are not appreciated by Admin.

I will not bother spending time going though my literally hundreds of photos taken from such locations such as northern Russia, China, southeast Asia, etc. and posting these on Shipspotting.

Dirk Septer

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Will not contribute any further photographs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
One of the photographs I posted was removed by the photo admin even though I really liked it. I posted another, which was more in line with the site policy, instead.

Big freaking deal.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 06:54:24 PM »
I simply don't get it: Have all your 5200+ pictures been deleted or just a couple? 

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 07:36:08 PM »
A number of Dirk's photos have been deleted as have a number of mine.

The choice on this site is a stark one. We either have a deletions policy and accept there will always be controversy, moans etc. Or we don't have a deletions policy at all and anything goes.

best regards
Derek

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 08:23:24 PM »
A pity you are leaving, Dirk.

I have had a few of my photos deleted. It is easy to first get angry about this. It is not easy, to judge own photos in an objective way. I have started doing it like this, some years now:

After first shock and anger, I look at the photos again and read the reason of deletion and I must say, that yesss the admins who deleted - had a good reason to do this! My photos were not according to policy here. Of course admin can get it wrong too, in that case, you should contact webmaster and since there is always 2 people viewing a photo, in that case I am very positive, a decision can be revised or you can also get advice about enhancing a photo.

A pity you are leaving as I said, but one should not try to stop travellers, as we say in Germany.

Greetings,

Cornelia

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:20:18 PM »
@ Cornelia:

Most of us, at one time or another, have photos deleted; and usually for valid reasons.

I have a strong suspicion though that my photographs are being watched extra carefully after I complained about photographs posted by two webmasters, that though these did not meet the standards were not deleted. They have been deleted now, only after I pointed this out.

My photograph of the self-dumping log barge Seaspan Survivor was so sharp that davidships
actually managed to read her name on the stern and thus identified it correctly for me.

Several others, including MattyBoy commented positively on my photo, which eventually was watched by several hundred members and made the "most popular photo" list as number two or three.

If it was judged by two admins, as you suggest, at least one of them should have seen that it was sharp, or at least not out of focus.

By deleting this photo valuable contributions and comments by other members were lost as well.

It would be nice that in "borderline cases," the photographer could be given the chance to replace the to be deleted photo with an enhanced version of it.

I always spend a lot of time to add relevant information and links with the photos I post,
time I might as well spend on other pursuits if the quality of my photos is considered unacceptable or not meeting the standards.

Shipspotting has its standards, but so do I.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:23:00 PM by dirk septer »

Offline Daniel B

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 01:54:23 AM »
To: Dirk,

As an introduction: I was a licensed marine engineer working on coastal tankers in Canada.

The photo you named here, I am certain, caused many followers of this glorious site to start searching the web for more informations on the working of those self loading and self dumping marvels of Canadian naval architecture. This working I already knew. But it sure was a pleasure to search through Shipspotting files to finds all sorts of photos related to the subject...

I love this website very much but one day, The adm. for bulkers, removed my photo of such a vessel sailing with the glory of the Laurentian Fall folliage as a background. So and in reaction, I removed all my limited number of photos from the site...

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 02:13:51 AM »
I suggest a new category to be added: "Borderline cases". :)

I think it would limit the amount of anger (righteous or not) about the possible deletions, and at the same time would generate some additional traffic for the site which, let's face it, is the bottom line.

Rgds

Vlad

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 03:53:10 AM »
I think with the new method of deleting images that do not comply with the sites rules is a good method. Dirk if your image got deleted there must have been something about it that 2 different people agreed did not comply. It doesn't matter if your images attracts a thousand hits within 24 hours or if it got 1 hit, if it does not comply with the rules it should be deleted.
Because you have over 5000 images on the site does not mean you should get treated any different to someone who has uploaded a small amount.
This site is made up of people from all over the world and most of us are adults. to imply that some of the people who help keep the site running are specifically targeting you because you made an earlier comment is ridiculous and childish.
I think you could have done this in a better way. contacting the admin who decided the image was not appropriate and a webmaster would have been a better route than making a repetitive forum about your images being removed.
At the end of the day any images that are uploaded to the site need to comply with the rules. It doesn't matter if you think its the best image you've ever taken it still needs to comply.

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 04:03:06 AM »
@ Vlad:

New category "Border Cases" should and is not necessary;
all that is required is a little leeway/benefit of the doubt.

btw: my deleted photo certainly was/is not a border case anyway:
it certainly was/is not out of focus.

What can solve all these border cases as you call them, or photos
considered for deletion, is giving the photographer a chance to enhance it
or replace it with a better one.

This will allow the retention of all entered data, views count and
comments by other members. I always spend a lot of time researching
and entering additional information and links to more photos or info.
This will all be lost when a photo is deleted.

I could have posted the same deleted photo again, but this is against the
regulations.
I once replaced a deleted photo with a better one of that same vessel taken
a few minutes later. I subsequently was threatened with losing my membership
status for doing so. Admin informed me that three webmasters had looked at
the new photo and all decided to disallow it (again). Had all three taken
the time to have a closer look at the second photo, they would have noticed
not only a totally different angle, but also a totally different background!

Three of them looked at it, and none of them noticed the differences, but
they certainly were quick and unanimous in their deletion and threat of
kicking me out.

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 04:36:07 AM »
I would like to see Forums regarding photo deletions removed altogether with the instruction that any issues regarding deletions be taken up with the Web Masters directly.

Some may say this is undemocratic, but with democracy comes the responsibility of accepting a majority decision in good grace, even though you may not agree with it.

The hysteria created by some members simply because they had a photo deleted is bewildering and the knee jerk reaction by some in deleting all their photos really selfishly punishes the innocent members the most, as they are then denied access to a source of photos which in most cases are an asset to the site.

These types of forums in that past have without exception been detrimental to the site, and even though members tick the tick pox to say they have read and understood the site standards, still continue to try and flout the system.

It must be remembered that it was through complaints from members that these standards evolved. I remember seeing a photo of a ship posted on this site made of lego blocks, another of a building because the roof was shaped like the hull of a boat and so on. Without rules this is the sort of rubbish that would end up on this site.

Regards

Tony
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:38:43 AM by Tony des Landes »

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
My suggestion to the previous webmaster has been to create a category : considered for deletion that is only visible for admins. Once a shot has been spotted that would fall in that category, the admin concerned will move it to that category, immediately notifying the reasons for that action to the poster. Once the shot has been viewed by more than one admin a decision can be made regarding the future of the shot.

This procedure has a number of advantages:

1. Other members will not have the opportunity to start commenting on a shot : considered for deletion, which can save a lot of unnecessary disucssion and comments
2. The member who posted the photo can get a fair chance of arguing why he/she thinks that the shot was postable within the site standards
3. It will remove the impression of subjectivity that some people seem to have regarding the deletion policy.

I received no comment regarding this suggestion so far.   

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »

Nothing new here, now that there is a New Management team in place hopefully they will have more success with this problem that I did, it just needs a Little Pressure on the IT side to set it up.

http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,11906.0.html

Regards
Ken

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
Hi Dirk,

I'm going to miss your contributions. You've produced some thought-provoking images on here, from far-flung destinations I know I'll never visit and quirky if not plain & simple, peculiar vessels and for that, I thank you for sharing them with me.

Please reconsider.

Very best regards Dirk,

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:21 PM »
I never thought I would see the day the fingers being pointed and accusations made and I am disappointed that you have done this but respect your decision to do so.

I too have had photos deleted from this site, some that I have felt comply with the site guidelines, I have at times been so pissed off I have stopped posting, I have on a number of times felt like just walking away from the site.

You are not alone in this boat and I urge you to just take a step back and settle down, yes some if my shots once I have had a 2nd look have agreed with the decision to delete it, but there have also been times where I have felt that maybe the admin is being a bit too picky perhaps.

I too have been a admin and it is a tough role to undertake, there was a lot of images I referred for deletion I really regreted and there was some I turned a blind eye to as I am sure many of the admins have.   I urge you to talk to the webmasters about your accusations and raise your concerns with them.  Please don't walk away from the site because if there is truth in your accusations you are letting those people win and get away with it.

Glenn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk