Author Topic: Administrators one & all.  (Read 4232 times)

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
Administrators one & all.
« on: August 02, 2015, 09:53:47 AM »
Hello,

I have come up with a possible solution to the age-old problem of how we feel about the way photo deletions are managed.
Looking through some old photographs on the site I notice photographs taken from a distance through hazy conditions. I myself have recently submitted photo's and although detail can be clearly seen in full screen, they have recently been removed.

Sure, there are the recognised website photo admins.

As has been said before the website would be nothing without the contributions of it's members, therefore as members we should be pro-active in 'weeding out' unsatisfactory photographs ourselves, the photographs which seem to slip through the proverbial net.

Comments can be written in the usual place & members may discuss the technique/lack of technique used. Something that we could all learn from. Being on this site myself has been/continues to be, a learning curve and for that I thank you all. If we could all become actively involved in administrating I think it could be very helpful.
Of course the recognised admins would have the final say but it would open up dialogue and make the short shrift of deletion more bearable.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

Offline Adrian Ford

• Vice Webmaster
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Administrators one & all.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »
Hello Mattyboy.

In princible it is a very good idea, but in reality i dont think it would work and would cause more disruptions than we have at the moment.

Best Wishes
Adrian
Adrian Ford admin for Shipping, Ancient, Museum, Steam, Barge Carriers, Barges, Offshore, Ships under repair or conversion ,  Research,  Special Purpose Ships, Storm sections, views are mine only.

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 05:21:06 PM »
Thanks for the input Mattyboy.

As I take it, this should be understood not as a call to highlight the missteps of other members, but instead to re-evaluate many of our own posts.

Self-policing is inherently one of the best ways to see older, less than desirable images removed from the site. For most of us we tend to encounter many of the same vessels on repeat occasions, and as a result, find better ways to photograph them.

Thus as we improve our techniques, I would encourage a nostalgia trip to take a look at older images from our early days at the site where questionable, or even worse, images may have slipped through with a mast or lamp post in the foreground, a sloped horizon, haziness and poor quality due to an older camera, or any other detrimental factors. In more recent cases, we may have settled for a poor image at the time in order to contribute a "first sighting" to the site. Now, months or years later, that vessel has been photographed since, but our sub-par image still remains. Removing these outliers not only cleans out the site, but also helps weed out the detractors and highlight the gems in our early contributions, showing progress towards the current standards we hold for ourselves.

I myself took a look back through my earliest submissions and found about two dozen photos that were easy to decide to delete.

Kind Regards,
Kyle
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 05:25:25 PM by Kyle Stubbs »
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:43:43 PM »
@ MattyBoy & Kyle Stubbs:

Ideally there should be a way allowing members to replace their own existing photos with other, better ones without losing all the existing information for that particular photo, such as: photo details, # of hits, # of likes and above all the photo comments from other members,
i.e. just replacing the photograph and leaving everything else for that photo number the same.

I often spend a lot of time on researching and adding the photo details and relevant links, and having to redo all that is such a waste of time.

It will also be nice to be able to retain the photo comments from other members, this valuable source of additional information, sometimes praise and the much valued human link with other like-minded ship spotters.

Dirk

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:38:21 AM by dirk septer »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk