Author Topic: Ship infos partly gone...  (Read 7247 times)

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
Ship infos partly gone...
« on: July 13, 2015, 11:50:44 PM »
Noticed recently that for many ships the Vessel Identification, Technical Data, Additional Information modules showing nothing like if the IMO is wrong, while AIS Information & Port History are still there.
Something should be done about it, because it's teasing like if the IMO is incorrect, especially if it's one or few photos from one member of a ship that no longer exists.   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:53:06 PM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: Ship infos partly gone...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 05:13:14 AM »
Denis, the source of that information, the Gross Tonnage site has closed down....

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 07:21:05 AM »
And what is going to be the alternative for that?
A lot of time and effort has been spent to add the IMO to each picture.
But now all the relevant info for the IMO, such as ex-names is missing.
Shipspotting.com is now just "another site with lots of pictures"?
Have the webmasters a tactical plan for this?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 08:07:29 AM »
As long as the IMO number is still posted, you can always trace a ship. The best option is probably Miramar, although they tend to loose track of obscure ships in the far east. But just searching for "IMO 1234567" will already give you some information. And Gross Tonnage was not very good in older/dead ships, which they considered as being "not interesting" .

And please Pieter do not make it sound as if we have the "right" to have all the info on a platter. It is just as bad as it is.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:09:16 AM by pieter melissen »

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:17:39 AM »
I accept that we do not have "right" to this information, and that there may not be a quick or even a good solution. The immediate situation is beyond the control of the Webmasters.

However I think a clear statement from the Webmasters about what is happening and what information will be missing, at least in the short term, would be helpful, and avoid confusion and complaints. I've posted a lot of older photographs recently, and have had several PM's from members saying I've put the wrong IMO#. I haven't but it looks like I have.

In the short term, members could perhaps help by putting what information they have in the comments.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:41:05 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately a new source of information has not yet been secured that will automatically generate IMO's etc. The Webmasters team will of course continually follow this up. If no source can be secured then an alternative manual system may be the answer. IMO's for current ships are available from Equasis and Miramar plus some other databases.
Date integrity would be checked by those we are currently appointing as Correction editors.

Be assured that we are endeavouring to make many improvements and alterations to the site at present. There is a lot to do to make this site easier to upload to and manage.
The benefit will be for all members and admins alike.

best regards
Derek

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »
Denis, the source of that information, the Gross Tonnage site has closed down....

I know it closed in the end of June, but what confusing is that infos are gone for some ships only recently.
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2284520
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2284510
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:06:43 AM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 11:19:08 AM »
Denis

we are trying to sort this.

best regards
Derek

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 12:35:06 PM »
 Quote from Derek S

"IMO's for current ships are available from Equasis and Miramar plus some other databases"

let me add that Miramar also has the historic IMO numbers of dead ships. My subscription is running out this month, but prolongation is certainly going to take place, it isworth much more than the 20 dollar for a year.

Offline Henrik Soderberg

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 06:59:28 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the links, Denis.

The first link was working now already. The second started working when we restarted the caching service.

It seems like we had a problem populating the cache earlier today. This can happen if a ship's entry is reloaded exactly when we back up the database or similar, even if we do full backups in off-peak hours. Those errors will auto-repair themselves in some time.

Regards,
Henrik

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
Good News, Henrik, thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk