Author Topic: NYK Olympus blackout on the Elbe river  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
NYK Olympus blackout on the Elbe river
« on: July 04, 2015, 08:01:22 PM »
Yesterday evening shortly after she left Hamburg harbor NYK OLYMPUS (IMO 9312987) suffered a blackout and had to drop anchor. Two tugs hurried to assist her as she was hampering the departure of MSC Splendida. NYK OLYMPUS was towed to a provisional berth near the Airbus premises.

Today in the early afternoon she left the berth with assistance of tugs ZP Bulldog and ZP Boxer. She sailed to Parkhafen, turned, the tugs left and she seemed to finally leave Hamburg.

When she reached the Airbus premises she stopped again thus blocking the way of tanker Amorina (inbound) and container ship Voronezh (outbound), the two tugs again hurried to assist her and she was once more berthed at the Airbus premises. I don't know if she had another blackout this afternoon as right now she's underway near Cuxhaven on her way to Le Havre...

Cheers,
Jens

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: NYK Olympus blackout on the Elbe river
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 12:08:27 AM »
hi jens

could be as easy as malfunction automatisation. When I sailed the Hartmann 2500 TEU ships
from 2004-2008 we took often in the beginning on the european rivers Elbe/Thames/Schelde all the automatisation out and drove the ships in manual mode. 
Only way to reach port safely, those electronic hick-ups were later on eleminated.

but those are total stress situations which I don,t need anymore and any other Capt neither.

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »
Today I read that the cause was a broken fuel line which led to an engine blackout. It happened off Gr

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 07:39:39 AM »
Fuel problems happens more frequently after the vessel have to change over to low sulphur fuel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk