Author Topic: Hidden Categories  (Read 2337 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Hidden Categories
« on: June 21, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »
Quite by chance I came across a hidden Category called "Unidentified Far Eastern Shipping (Admin use only)".  It contains some 730 member photos (they are not themselves hidden and I think do get listed if searching by ship name or by member).   It's here: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?search_category_1=221

I suspect that it doesn't appear in the photo upload menu so that members will not load images directly there.  I assume that the relevant Admin, probably for "Ships to be reclassified/waiting identity details" (perhaps it's Ilhan as he is photo Admin for "Mystery Ships"), then redirects those where sufficient ID emerges to allocate them properly.

A lot of the IDing of otherwise unknown or uncertain ships comes from the activities of members and their sleuthing, so it seems to me a bit counterproductive to have the category hidden in this way.  Can something be done to make this accessible through the front page, even if it cannot be selected when uploading?

Are there any other similar categories?

Offline Robbie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden Categories
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 08:36:47 AM »
There used to be a category containing all the images that were pending deletions which is missing. I am guessing it is only available to admin and webmasters of the site.

I think if this category was made public, members of the site have the ability to look at the images that are being removed and learn from them what is and is not welcome on this site. This may reduce or even stop the regular forums asking why peoples images are being removed. As this site is for enthusiasts it may be a good way to discuss why or why not an image should be removed and possible compromises.

Regards Robbie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk