Author Topic: COPYRIGHT  (Read 44856 times)

kensmith

COPYRIGHT
« on: June 05, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »

I would like to remind all members about this Websites policy with regard to use of Copyright Material which is I feel clearly laid out in the rules.

7. Copyright protection

When uploading, members must comply with Copyright Law.

Post only Photographs or Videos for which you have copyright ownership. Other peoples slides or negatives can only be used if their name and permission is stated in the description. if you are in possession of a collection or own slides or photographs that have been purchased or acquired by other means but are not certain of the copyright owner you must NOT upload to the website, all photographs not taken or owned by the member must clearly state in the description the name of the person that owns the copyright and that you the member has approval to upload them to this website.

Any photographs that are uploaded that do not meet the criteria above regarding copyright will be deleted and the member will be contacted. It will then be up to the member to prove that the copyright conditions can be met and until such information is given the photo cannot be re- uploaded. Unknown photographer or just a name is not acceptable as a description.

If a member is contacted concerning copyright infringement and confirms that they consider them to be free of copyright or have the correct permissions to use them and they are re-uploaded on the website then the member must accept his/her responsibility for any possible legal challenge for copyright violation, the website cannot be held responsible.

Scans of Ship Photographs from publications are not allowed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to emphasis that should a Legal Challenge be made against any suspected breach of Copyright Law then the person that uploaded the photo must accept full responsibility, this Website does not accept any responsibility, we have accepted it in Good Faith.

I do not want to see this develop into another long discussion so please accept this as a Statement of Fact, if it does become out of hand then I will Lock It.

Kind Regards
Ken Smith
Webmaster

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
Re: COPYRIGHT
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 01:41:10 PM »
Thanks Ken.

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 10:48:50 AM »

I have recently noticed, within the last month or two, a greater number of posted "oldie" photographs that were shot a long time ago; some of them from the 1960s (and so ...) and some of them even from 1930s.

On many of such "oldie" photographs is only mentioned that they are coming from various "collections" and, moreover, nothing is mentioned in the description about the origin of the photograph i.e. the actual Photographer who captured the relevant photograph.

Mentioning the NAME OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER (the actual Photographer) is essential to maintain the Copyright to be in good order.
Also, by adding the statement "Posted with permission of the photographer" makes everything to be in even better order regarding the Copyright.

However, the photographs I am herewith referring to, are posted without any, and they are certainly lacking, the Name of the actual Photographer.
I would kindly ask the website Administration to take further 'continuous care & eye' on the posted photographs that were shot in the 'past and very past time' , in way to secure that the Name of the actual Photographer is provided under the posted image.

And may I conclude with a please, dear members of the site, post "your old" photographs from your collection(s) provided with the information and statement:
Name of Photographer; photo posted with permission
Also in addition, the stated date of capture (at least approximate date) would be much welcome

Thank you all,
Jadran

... got married to ships

Offline Keith Goldie

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • AmassiveoverdoseofshipS
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:26:25 AM »
The arguement that `oldie` photographs are copyrighted..when these pix were taken `copyright ` was not even invented ..get a life and respect our elder sailors for uploading our heritage..nuff sed..

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »
get a life and respect our elder sailors

Hi Keith

I'm also of elder age (very soon 65) and I have sailed having a "Seaman Book" in 1966, 67 and 68 ..... therefore I deeply respect, what you nicely said, the elder sailors and their heritage. 

However,  this Websites policy with regard to use of Copyright Material, should be well considered and duly followed by all of us site members, regardless of our age and marine experience.

Kind regards
Jadran

... got married to ships

Offline Keith Goldie

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • AmassiveoverdoseofshipS
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 01:01:18 PM »
Respect Jadran..old sailars never die..we just rust..
 :'(

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »
Hi guys,
correct me if I am wrong , but it is in my knowledge that copyright lapses after 70 years and the photos  are then not subject to copyright rules and restrictions. If this is so, it is my opinion still ethical to credit the photographer  when he/she is known.
If this 70 year lapse law in order then then photo pre 1945 are in the public domain.
Maybe Ken could shed more light on this.
regards
Emmanuel.

Offline DEREK SANDS

• Top Poster
  • taken in Holland 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 08:47:30 PM »
Hi Emmanuel,

Copyright law is complex and I believe you are right about 70 years. However the copyright can transfer to a beneficiary I think, which would mean the copyright is current, whilst the beneficiary is alive? Who knows more. It also differs from country to country, to make it more difficult.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

best regards

Derek

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 09:17:41 PM »
UK Govt website = The length of the copyright period will depend on when the image was created. Generally speaking, copyright in images lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years from the end of the calendar year of their death. That means that images less than 70 years old are still in copyright, and older ones may well be, depending on when the creator died. ie if they died today then still in (c) until 2085.

Offline Werner Jurkowski

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »
Hi Emmanuel and Derek,

Copyright lasts as long as the (in this case) photographer lives after he took the picture plus 70 years.

If one takes a photograph of a picture, then it is still the work of the original photographer. That simply means that in case you have photographed a picture of someone elses work you don

Offline Ken Smith

• President Emeritus
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 09:38:02 PM »

Online csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 07:46:34 PM »
Copyright or not, if you didn't take the photo it is fair to give credit where credit is due. Just my 2 (Canadian) cents  :)

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 08:23:09 PM »
Exactly my thoughts and feelings csaba, when a photo is passed to me I always credit the photographer by quoting his name,even if he is dead.,at least I am paying tribute to a dear departed friend...and this has been my 2 Euro cents worth. Regards.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 08:48:31 PM »
Copyright issues can be a pain in the aftship, so I encourage everyone to publish their photographs under a free license such as Creative Commons.

Offline Andrew (Aushiker)

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 01:41:56 AM »
UK Govt website = The length of the copyright period will depend on when the image was created. Generally speaking, copyright in images lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years from the end of the calendar year of their death. That means that images less than 70 years old are still in copyright, and older ones may well be, depending on when the creator died. ie if they died today then still in (c) until 2085.

This is pretty much the same in Australia as well.

Plus one to what Casaba said.

Andrew
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:44:54 AM by Andrew (Aushiker) »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk