Author Topic: New Maersk superships on the horizon for 2017  (Read 6786 times)

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
New Maersk superships on the horizon for 2017
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:53:32 PM »
Maersk Line has ordered 11 19,630 TEU container ships with an option to buy six more in a deal worth $1.8billion

However, Maersk Line are still keeping the ships to 400m length and 59m beam - so far, it seems no-one is welling to build bigger than that!

Maersk say the vessels, to be built by South Korea's Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering, should be delivered in 2017 and 2018.

There's a Shipping TV video about this on the site's video page.
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline Andrew (Aushiker)

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
Re: New Maersk superships on the horizon for 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 06:02:00 AM »
However, Maersk Line are still keeping the ships to 400m length and 59m beam - so far, it seems no-one is welling to build bigger than that!

Is that because harbour infrastructure cannot handle any bigger? I know here in Fremantle they have installed a new crane with an outreach of 50 metres and that is now the largest one here. No doubt this is still small by others standards.

Andrew
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:19:59 AM by Andrew (Aushiker) »

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 08:21:09 AM »
About 20.000 TEU is the current limit with "standard" LxB dimensions of 400x60 m, and some creative container stowing.

In 2008, Korean STX had developed projects for 22.000 TEU ships, having length of 460 m, but keeping the 60 m / 23 rows limit due to crane outreach limitations.

Having such a length (15% increase in length over only 10% increase in capacity over 19/20.000 TEU vessels) suggested that back in 2008 STX went for smaller block coefficient / more streamlined and less boxy hull, designed for speed. Ah, those times when people thought that double digit growth can be obtained year after year indefinitely...

(Why do you think MAN B&W in those days offered main engine designs of ... wait for it ... 18K98ME-C, and 14K1080ME-C...)  ;D

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 09:12:51 AM »
Hi all,
400m in length means 24 40ft bays long.
In the corporate information received about the new ships they put a drawing of the "next generation 3E" with 27 40ft bays.
Probably someone with no knowledge at all was allowed to make the corporate flyer, or...........
Cheers,
Roy

Offline hecarmi

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 10:11:34 AM »
Hi Roy,

If the new ships would indeed be of 27 bay, we are talking (at least) 21,500 TEU here.
Sounds logic, as Maersk always looks UP  ;D

So far, the official capacity was confirmed recently as 19,630 TEU.
Could we be going back to EMMA MAERSK- style annoucements???  ???

Brbrgds,
Herbert

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 10:52:31 AM »
The old Maersk Line policy of downplaying the nominal TEU size of their vessels stopped a few years ago after a board reshuffle. There is now more openness in this regard and it is unlikely that they have gone back to their old ways. 19630 TEU is a precise value. I doubt that the true nominal capacity will be much different.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »
http://www.marinelink.com/news/containerships-triplee392277.aspx

...showing the picture of Emma Maersk as "First generation Triple-E containership"...  ::)

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »
"Cut and paste" reporting and editing! There's a lot of it about . .
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 05:22:37 PM »
Hi Vlad,
Yeah that's a nice one, of course there's a lot of misinformation (as always).
But I'm talking of a picture/drawing of our own corporate info, and I expect, maybe silly, that to be correct.....
Hi Herbert,
I don't think those times will be back, though you never can be sure. But nowadays it's al about the amount of CO2 per teu/mile, so they rather prefer to overestimate.
p.s. two years ago the calendar showed a 3E with complete different bay-configuration then the real ones, but at least the amount of 40ft bays was correct at that time  ;)

Cheers,
Roy

Offline Andrew (Aushiker)

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 05:13:19 AM »
Due to a block on Murdoch owned newspapers I cannot access the full article but apparently the Wall Street Journal is reporting that the "OCED is saying that economic gains from big ships are declining and that such ships have led to overcapacity and steep price cutting that will put financial pressure on ...

Shipping Watch also has an article on this topic and Maersk Line take on the matter.

Andrew

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk