Author Topic: Grosstonnage is closing.  (Read 5879 times)

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Grosstonnage is closing.
« on: May 20, 2015, 10:18:43 PM »
Just received an email from the webmaster that Grosstonnage site is closing on May 25th. Its a pity that such a wealth of ship info will cease. He says all the photos will be deleted.
His actual words "Dear Friend, I regret to inform you that grosstonnage.com website will be definitively shut down on May 25th. We tried any effort to avoid it, but now it's time for us to give in".

Offline Keith Bassett

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Grosstonnage is closing.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »
Sad news indeed.Is there any way shipspotting.com could obtain any of the information they have?It seems such a pity it should just be gone forever.
Keith

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 03:07:46 PM »
That's really sad, I was always looking up ship data there of the ships I took photos of :(

Now there's only Equasis, but no chance of getting data if the ship is classed by Lloyd's...

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:31:54 PM »
Hi Derek, I was registered with Miramar last year, but I thought it provided info mainly for older or dead vessels.

Ok, I was only looking for Sietas-built ships when I was registered... ;D

Cheers,
Jens

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »
I agree with everyone's sentiments. For larger vessels there are various other sources for information, such as Equasis and Miramar, but the amount of data available seems to decrease with vessel size. There really has been no alternative to Grosstonnage for researching many tugboats and fishing vessels. Some may be found on national databases, such as those maintained by the United States and Canada, but in several cases I've found those to be omitting IMO numbers that Grosstonnage had, especially for vessels toeing the 100 GT line. With enough digging they can be found on some of the AIS sites, but in most cases there is little other information attached.

Such a shame that all of that valuable information will be evaporating into thin air.
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline Pilot Frans

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sanderse Shipphoto
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 08:29:05 PM »
Very sad to see this good search engine is gone during my holidays.
It was the best site to search smaller ships.
Specially when they changed names and deleted from registers.

Angelo came up with marinetraffic.com, but search engine is far not so good as his one.

regards
Frans Sanderse

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk