Author Topic: "Dead"  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
"Dead"
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:55:27 AM »
I have recently come across a couple of ships that are classified as "Dead" on the photo page.
What constitutes a "Dead" ship?
I previously assumed they had been scrapped or sunk or no longer registered.

Both the vessels I photographed were alive & well in April this year

Kaiserberg (6715009) in Antwerp & Loth Lorien (5254151) on NOK.

Please advise

Thanks

Russell Judge

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: "Dead"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »
The information looks as though it comes from Equasis, which can sometimes be wrong or incomplete.

Often where this goes wrong is when a ship is sold for scrap, and then subsequently resold by the scrappers for further trading. Equasis tend to flag a ship as dead at the first point, and then fail to pick up on the second.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »
The data comes from Grosstonnage.com. You'd have to ask them what constitutes 'dead' in their database.

Brgds
Phil

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 12:04:10 PM »
Looks as if LOTH LORIEN fixed.

Online Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 05:22:35 PM »
It would be very difficult for one entity to keep track of the hundreds of changes in fate that befall the tens of thousands of IMO-worthy vessels on the face of the planet each year. Even though it has its lapses, I have to praise the efforts of the staff of Grosstonnage for what they do manage.

Ships reported as sold for scrapping get listed as dead, as do ships reported lost to casualties. Sure a few are wrongly reported, resold back into service, or salvaged from unlikely situations, but those exceptions are few and far between. Anyways, I'd rather see them listed as dead than be left listed in service, as many long-gone vessels unfortunately are, in most cases either from obscure corners of the world with limited shipping records, or small vessels that don't make many waves when they sink or are scrapped.

In turn, these errors in reality are where we as a community come in. With our help reporting errors to Grosstonnage, the database can be as accurate as possible. Still, even we, the membership as a whole, can never know of every ship that ends operations (or doesn't), but the more people that are involved, the higher the percentage of accuracy can be.

Kind Regards,
Kyle
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk