Author Topic: Photographs on this site  (Read 48213 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs on this site
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2015, 09:33:01 PM »
Everyone can have his/her opinion and political correctness was never one of virtues.
but for me it is simply common sense.
this site got so popular because one could upload pictures as long as they meet the standard of the site. if there are now guys who promoting limiting pictures of ships and not
as now for photographers per ship then I seriously question in that respect common sense.

Then one has to ask oneself,,who in gods name would go out and take pictures when they know already they can not upload them. This site reached nearly 2 million pictures and its popularity because of that,, They would not have 100.000 if peoples can only upload when only 4-5 ships are in entirely per ship is allowed.
That's for me common sense. Others may call my view it unfriendly or stupid,, no problem with me whatsoever on that. But if those guys promoting restrictions then they should also come with an idea how to promote still to members to keep taking pictures and upload them.
That is after all "going out-take and upload pictures" the only life line this site has !!!

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2015, 11:31:56 PM »
one has to ask oneself, who in gods name would go out and take pictures when they know already they can not upload them.
I, for one.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2015, 01:00:47 AM »
Me also. Some years ago when marinetraffic limited the number of photo uploads from one member to 5 photos of a same vessel per six months, at first I was upset for it limited my ability to spam the site with 20+ pics of the same old ship I was looking at every day... But then I got accustomed to it, and it definitely didn't stop me from taking photos of that same old ship again and again... :)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »
Apparently some people have no clue what bandwith means and what a shortage of bandwith implies. Suffice it to say that when you want to open a thumbnail to see a ship, you do not watn to wait 30 seconds before the file actually opens....

And Captain Ted, I also take pictures without feeling the need to upload them.

On another note, I think personally that showing the section: DESCRIPTION on the upload page also when only the thumbnail becomes visible, could be an improvement. Here the photographer has a chance to add some comments relating to the ship, the circumstances and technical remarks regarding the photo itself, such as camera settings, post processing etc. I have yesterday posted two shots of a simple gas tanker and a panamax bulkcarrier where I explained why I posted them. Judging from the number of hits apprarently hardly anybody was interested looking at these shots. By adding the comments, the picture itself will become more the focus of the site, rather than the ship. Discuss...

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »
@ Pieter

Well what I can say,, I (and for example CaptainPeter too ) uploading usually via USB stick
which is privately purchased in ports, at a cost between $20-$50 for 500 MB sometimes 1 GB.
In other words we put considerably time , upload of a 200 kb picture can take sometimes 3-4 min and break off now and then and when more then 5-6 uploads we get kicked out of the site, and also money into this hobby.
So "hardship" what you outline as waiting 30sec is for us the norm.
Bandwidth comes down to the equipment installed and used by the web owner, and if they do not have enough bandwidth that sometimes someone has to wait 30 sec then they may be should put better equipment into the business (YES Shipspotting.com is now a business) instead of getting the idea of limiting the number of pictures which seemingly some members having in mind to solve that problem

brgds
capt ted.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2015, 04:26:08 PM »
Ted, I was not even talking about uploading, but just about opening files that are already on the site.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »
@  Pieter

I am aware of that, that's exactly my point, but uploading is also bandwith, as every klick is and I wanted to show you and others that waiting for the little klicks is nothing compared what other members do to upload pictures and then there are people who want to restrict picture of a ship not of the uploader.
Honestly if this site will do that,,then they loose further uploads from me and I do it elsewhere. I took already all my 500 funnel pictures off because the ADM in that department
got a itchy delete button always in favour of his "funnels"  I would hate to take all my pics off because of the above. I can live with the 4 per ship per memeber, but 4 per ship
in entirety would render for me this site as useless

brgds
capt ted

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
    • My photos on Shipspotting.com
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »
I took already all my 500 funnel pictures off because the ADM in that department
got a itchy delete button always in favour of his "funnels" 

My job as the Funnels admin is to make sure the best possible photos are available of the company logos, if someone can not live with that, it's not my problem. You have mentioned my "wrong doings" in several forum topics here before and until now I have not reacted. If you still, after all the discussions with Ken Smith and me, have a problem, please contact us directly and we can continue the discussion which leads nowhere. I have told you I deleted several of my own photos in favour of yours and of course vice versa but it wasn't good enough for you, apparently I should have deleted all of mine. I would have imagined this topic was already cleared but still after many months, you still keep it up for whatever personal grudge.

Cheers,
Aleksi

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2015, 08:45:39 PM »
@ Aleski

Until now I did not get from you nor Ken a satisfactory explanation why you started deleting my funnels ,at least under questionable circumstances, or could it have to do that I was in the progress to overtaking you in quantity and quality of funnels posted ? . At least that was the time when you started deleting more of more of mine, and when I posted for "test" a few clearly better funnels then yours, you ignored and left your funnels on because there were already a better one on this site,,of course yours.
Those are the facts. Another point brought already before up,,should a ADM be allowed
to post in a cathegory where he/she heavly posting him/herself and policing them.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2015, 08:49:04 PM »

btw,,the below is a normal return answer from this site on inquries,,,
don,t know if that counts as satisfactory answer ?

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

[email protected]

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2015, 09:23:15 PM »
If you call the wrong number, don't expect the right person to answer.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2015, 11:10:09 PM »
Well Tuomas

in the whole mail is nothing stated that it is a NO-REPLY mail,,is it ?

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2015, 04:14:39 AM »
in the whole mail is nothing stated that it is a NO-REPLY mail,,is it ?

To me, it looks like a standard delivery failure notification, albeit with slightly different wording.

That would be the first e-mail address I've ever seen with "www." in the domain.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2015, 09:18:31 AM »
This thread has wandered on and off topic and has made for some interesting reading and points of view. It's amazing how aggressive some become.........

I was interested to read from some that their main reason for taking ship photographs is to post on this site. From my point of view, posting on here is an incidental reason, not the main reason. I suppose the main reason is just a very selfish one, I enjoy doing it for myself, especially if I get a "new to me" ship. I enjoy planning the trips etc., and sorting them out afterwards.

I have restricted myself to posting on here one photograph per vessel name, unless there have been significant changes to the vessel between shots, then I may post a second.

Using the vessel "Hanni" as an example, if I want to look at a photograph of her on here, I'll do a search, and probably just look at the first two or three that come up, so as time goes on, older photographs to me become redundant. It's very rare I'll want to see a photograph for a particular date or location, and almost never will I look by photographer.

As far as I understand it, Shipspotting is not a business. It aims to break even through advertising, but does not look to make a return on invested income, which is a standard definition of a business.

The four photographs per ship name per photographer does seem a reasonable proposition.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:21:04 AM by simonwp »

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2015, 04:01:02 PM »
OK, I have been absent for a while, and this thread seems to have died down. The only tangible result is that the webmaster interfered about problems that a poster had with the funnel section. All the other proposals and suggestions seem to have been ignored, not even turned down, just ignored. I think the question "why do we have forum on this site?" becomes more and more valid.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk