Author Topic: Original 12 Korean RoRo's  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Jackdusty

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Original 12 Korean RoRo's
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:20:10 AM »
I found some old pictures of the original 12 Korean RoRo's from the 1970's. Our company had the TOR Felicia and then there was the Stena Shipper - IMO 7528582. Does anyone remember the names of the original 12 vessels?
Jackdusty  :pint:

Offline Malte Classens

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Original 12 Korean RoRo's
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 03:53:12 AM »
swedish site fakta om fartyg is showing 11 sister vessels (= click on the names after systerfartyg):
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/tor_felicia_1978.htm

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 05:04:12 AM »
Hi Jackdusty!
The german Wikipedia has an article about this class of vessels:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stena-Searunner-Klasse

Brgds,
Stefan

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »
This thread made me think, as ro-ro's are my main interest, and I've over 40 years experience in the shipping industry in one form or another. I've actually been on board all eleven of the class in one capacity or another, either professionally, as a passenger, or just visiting. In their field a very iconic class of vessel.

Offline Jackdusty

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 03:29:42 PM »
Good day. I would like to thank Malte Classens, SteKrueBe and simonwp for the prompt replies to my favourite subject of RoRo's. Through my work with Fred. Olsen and TOR Line I have travelled on and loved these vessels for over 40 years. That era has changed and moved on to bigger and better ships but I still love my RoRo ships of the 1970's. We wrote the book on RoRo's. Thanks Malte for connecting me up again with the Swedish shipping site.. I had lost the site when changing computers a few years ago. I am soon retiring and I will now have time to sort, scan and post alot more pictures. Thanks again for your replies.

Offline Hawkeye

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 04:12:05 PM »
Hi Jack

There were only 11 of these ships built, and believe it or not, three of them are still sailing. I spent 17 years, on and off working on three of this class, and went on to see them all, bar two.

Offline Jackdusty

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »
There was a 12th ship on the books being built but no name. I lost all that information when my computer crashed some time ago. I now see on the German site stating there were 11 in total so what happened to the 12th vessel that was almost finished?

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »
Hi Jackdusty!
Before i wrote the Wikipedia-article i checked the yard's building list and some further reading about this class. But there was no hint on a 12th sister vessel. Since the design stemmed from Knud E. Hansen and not directly from Hyundai it it possible that another yard built an additional ship. In this case i would be grateful for any information too.

Brgds,
Stefan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk