Author Topic: Costa Concordia: Schettino sentenced to 16 years in prison  (Read 7188 times)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Costa Concordia: Schettino sentenced to 16 years in prison
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:16:52 PM »
German TV just reported that Francesco Schettino, ex-master of the ill-fated Costa Concordia, was sentenced to 16 years of prison by an Italian court.
No further details available at the moment...

Cheers,
Jens

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Concordia: Schettino sentenced to 16 years in prison
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:24:26 PM »
The difference between going back aboard or going to jail. All what he had to do when he """as per him""" fall off the ship to go back on !!!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline bendt nielsen

• Not too shy to talk
  • Sletterhage Lighthouse, Aarhus Bay/Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 12:52:58 AM »
I just read a book about the Norwegian ferry M / S SKAGERAK which sank between Denmark and Norway in 1966 ... there was a tremendous storm and the bow doors were driven by a giant wave as the ship began to take water in ... all were ordered in lifeboats and inflatable rafts ... the ships and helicopters that came to the rescue had due to weather major problems, the captain refused to be picked up as long as all his passengers and crew who were in the water had not yet been rescued to safety on board the rescue vessels despite the fact that his ship had a dangerous slope ... when he on the ship's radio was told that everyone was rescued, he said ok then I want to be retrieved.
All survived except one elderly man who subsequently died of a blood prop.

IT WAS A CAPTAIN WITH HONOR.

It was because of the weather a huge rescue operation that went around the world in the media, an important factor for the mission went well was because of it Danish Air Force's new rescue helicopter type Sikorsky S-61 as it had acquired in 1965 ... The US factory Sikorsky awarded medals for the Danish squadron as it was the first time these helicopters had done such a great and successful work.

M / S SKAGERAK was new built in 1965
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:47:18 AM by bendt nielsen »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 01:39:49 PM »
re: schettino

I am aware that a lot people read this as defense of Schettino, but read it all and don,t nit-pick the pieces you like or not like.
I don,t want to defend Schettino with one word, that guy should have gotten back on
and nothing really would have happened to him ALONE law wise!!!

Does anyone know what happened to the officer on the bridge who actually ran the ship aground, after all he has also a Nautical Officer license which makes him a OOW (Officer of the Watch)which means he is certified to stand watch alone and any decision made on the bridge during his duty is HIS responsibility !!!! And his lookout and other bridge team members as it is nowadays called. What about Costa Lines which allowed knowingly such things as close pass by for the enjoyment of the passengers.
Peoples which took cruises coming home and you hear,, Our Captain did ....... what a fantastic Capt !!!! and so on,,it is a culture of laisse faire and pleasing passengers in order that they loved it and take another cruise. It seems as long nothing goes wrong everybody silently approves of it.

btw, there is no such law that the Captain has to leave the vessel last. Of course there is the duty of a Captain to do everything possible to get anyone off the ship as safe as possible up to the point that his own life becomes also endangered and that he by that can not do anything anymore for others. That he clearly did not fulfill.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 04:43:45 PM »
Hi Theo,

completely agree with you.

By the way, the details of the sentence are
10 years for multiple negligent homicide
5 years for negligently causing an accident
1 year for leaving behind underage or needy people

As for Costa Crociere, they had a settlement with the court and paid

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 06:20:55 PM »
@Jens

yeah in the end it,s all about the money !!!
here in US often after big money awards,,it,s about getting right,,not about the 15 millionen settlement for a guy who smoked 30 years and did not know that smoking is not good !!! :-(((

Offline Ian Horsfall

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 06:32:18 PM »
If my memory is correct the vsl passed and drifted back,and settled, on to the rocks on the bow and stern the,engines were dead for quite some time
Not due to any acts of seamanship by any one one that bridge,bridge video isaw was utter chaos.
There was some strong winds that night,
If he were tried here in the US,I think,32 life sentences, and the chance of parole when the sentences are complete. Would be fair.
He never even got his feet wet.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 06:47:40 PM »
@ Ian
I would have no problem with that either,,but I have a problem that the officer who grounded the vessel and the company which promoted such behavior as close pass by,s walking
away from it like nothing happened.
That he is a "ass" and got what he needed, I think I stated that big enough above.

P.S. always good to read the whole thread and not just one sentence

Offline Ian Horsfall

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »
Captin Ted.
I always read your posts , completely.
Merely stating what I have seen and read.on how, the vsl ended up on shore.
Agree more people should have been arrested and tried.

Look at the disgusting treatment of Captain Joe Hazelwood, hung drawn and quartered in the press, before he even got a lawyer,and his 3 rd Mate is still sailing the Seas
But that's an other story

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 07:37:58 PM »
hi Ian

thanks reply,, Yep,,that the other big story and never publicly known or acknowledged
The worst what today exist is the MEDIA,,they report that what is more sensational and not what they supposed to report the reality,,that does of course not sell !!!
I whish sometimes we could switch off the media for 6 month,,it would be peace on earth !!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk