Author Topic: Random photos  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
Random photos
« on: December 27, 2014, 02:14:33 PM »
Hello!
To those, who are here for a long time - how often do you get comments on ordinary photos you uploaded some 2-5 years ago? Exactly that the thing is that only recent uploads get all the attention & that hype regarding the Top 3 & after awhile all that goes in to oblivion & barely anyone views a photo from some many years ago because it's sorta buried in the depths of the database & can be reached only if you're intentionally looking for that certain ship. My point is that there should be a way to let those photos be available to anyone without a need for digging up - the site lacks for like 4 years already the Random Photos that change everytime the page has loaded. I've been mentioning it to Ken a couple of times - don't know how soon it will be brought back on site but as long as it's not there, all attention is directed to recent uploads & Top 3 & many stuff that causes the ground for complains in recent times regarding hits, deletions & such.
What do you think?  Do you like to come here & scroll through recent uploads or just view the Top 3 or blindly choosing the photo by clicking on interesting recent comment (that in most of cases directs to recent photos)?  Or you would like to press "Refresh" & see what at least 3 random photos it will bring you this time?   There's already a Random Photo of the Day which shows 365 photos per year out of all 1.8 millions there are, so I barely see any point in it.

Merry Christmas / Happy New 2015 Year / Many ships to spot!
Denis
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 02:17:54 PM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Random photos
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
Not here for a very long time, but I agree that that would be a much better use of space than the daily random.

David
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:57:46 PM by davidships »

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »
Sounds good to me. In my opinion we could do away with the "Sample Categories" section on the homepage which would create more space for random photos of the day...

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 04:05:25 AM »
I agree too. While we are taking of changes, would anybody consider a new category of ship photos, something like "artistic photos"? Silhouettes of ships against the Sun would be an example.

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 05:00:26 AM »
Also, a lot of people are using are using Ad-Block plus these days. It removes the two ridiculously large ads on the home page leaving blank spaces of which, could be far better utilised.

Offline echobow

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »
Quote from csaba:

"I agree too. While we are taking of changes, would anybody consider a new category of ship photos, something like "artistic photos"? Silhouettes of ships against the Sun would be an example."

That's a very attractive suggestion I think. Such a category could maybe also include ship photographs where the ship is not the absolute centre of the shot and which have been therefore caused deletions as yet. By introducing a new ""artistic photos""-category I guess that some shots which are both interesting and of good quality could be saved, although they would maybe not fit with the traditional standarts.
However, it would be certainly not always easy to assess the artistic value of every shot and to decide whether it is worth keeping it on site.
In my opinion, such a category is an idea that should be considered carefully nevertheless.
With best regards,
David

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 01:26:10 PM »
To stay on topic:

Sounds good to me. In my opinion we could do away with the "Sample Categories" section on the homepage which would create more space for random photos of the day...

Very good suggestion, Jens, though such might be better as a separate window in PHOTOS section where it could be as you pick a category (or whole database) & it will show you some 3-5 random photos from it every time the page has loaded/refreshed. But for now it would be enough pleasing if the existing "Random Photo of the Day" could be changing with every page load/refresh.

Not sure by what things you'll judge a photo being worth staying in "artistic" category if such would be implemented.  I can foresee it being another Flickr where everything will be clogged with overphotoshopped photos & such.

If I'll be honest here, the site was & is a mess, more or less. Of course photo admins have lives & something among the recent uploads or in the depths of the database can always slip away. So it would be nice if more people could participate in maintaining the order in here - I don't mean as it would be like some 50 admins (more than half of which would be a "title wasters" anyway) but a number of certain (trusted) members & current frequent helpers should be able to fix stuff like IMO's, ship names & categories by themselves once they encounter that something's wrong.  Because at how it's now of ordinary members reporting errors to a limited number of staff members who, beside that, already have a lot of stuff to do here & outside - slowly such way will become not efficient as the site will grow even more.
Regards,
Denis

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »

I can say on the issue of "Artistic photos" and the proposed new Category for them the following:

I personally am fond of shooting "Artistic images" and I like such photos very much especially when they appear well good & pleasant for the eye.

-----------------------------------------------

However, I have the following attitude:
Each "Artistic photo" from the proposed new Category would certainly bring its utmost attraction & attention, would create "new surprises", bring extraordinary and yet not seen + much interesting "images of Art", etc, etc
Therefore, I am much afraid that such an "Artistic photo(s)" would destruct any attention from  e.g. one or any perfect, excellent, beautiful, clear profile shot of a ship (a classic shot) presented on a standard photo with applied only the normal site standards that are existing & known on this website till now.

With the proposed new Category, I'm afraid that we would have every day the TOP3 photos consisting more or less only of "Artistic" shots instead of "Classic" shots .... and that is not intention of shipspotting & Shipspotting.com in its original sense as it was being and is being up till today.

And what to say, if the Category of  "Artistic photos" further develops and will be then created by Professionals in Art photo and/or Advertisements, and these professionals will then use professional tools, advanced software, "Sci-Fi" photoshops, etc, etc

-----------------------------------------------

All above mentioned is only my humble opinion and is open to further full discussion ............
Jadran

... got married to ships

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk