Author Topic: Shipspotting or shipposting ?  (Read 26350 times)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: Shipspotting or shipposting ?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
to others
The whole intention of my initial post was the situation that virtually anybody can upload anything, as long it meets the standards. As also stated , I like old pictures of ships and I know that a lot members put a lot of effort into it to make them "presentable" for uploading. however , personally,  I do not call that shipspotting but rather shipposting.

Happy New Year to all here
brgds
capt ted

Hi Ted, I quoted just par of your message and let me start off by wishing a Happy New Year as well.

And yes you are right I did put a lot of effort in scanning my old negatives (eighties) and making the outcome presentable. (you may have no idea how many scratches and dustpicks appear when you properly expose a negative.) Presenting the results on this site though I would still call that ship spotting, as I still remember where I took the picture and where I "spotted" the ship. The only thing I did not do in period was to write down at what date I took the picture, I regret that now, but that is how it is. May I invite you to have a look at my B&W shots and tell me whether you consider this ship-posting of ship spotting.

Thanks in advance

Pieter

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
Thanks Captain Ted for raising this topic.

"Shipspotting" it should remain, but Cornelia, Pieter and you made some valuable
arguments up for consideration.

But I especially like Adrian Ford's suggestion of doing away with the "number of views"
and replace it with a "Like" button instead.

There is a huge difference between "viewing" and actually "liking" a photograph,
regardless whether it was taken by the "photographer" who posts his own or an older
photograph taken by somebody else. [Don't get me going on copyright though!]

The main purpose of Shipspotting.com is or at least should be the sharing of photographs and information about shipping worldwide.

Many of my local shots don't get many hits the first time around/the day when posted, but
this doesn't bother me at all. Nobody has to "view" my pictures if they don't want to.

I have posted some 4,000 pics over the past number of years and built up some good contacts with other shipspotting enthusiasts who aided me in identifying some of my "mystery ships." To me this is way more important than collecting "views."

At least two vessels have sunk/written off after I posted their photos that I took earlier;
My pictures from Shipspotting have been used by two TV channels, appeared in a recently published book; have appeared on at least three web sites of shipping companies, etc. The crewmember of a tug he saw himself on, asked permission to use my picture on his Facebook page and the (UK) Royal Navy asked permission to use some of my photographs as reference information of Royal Navy and NATO vessels.

That's enough reward for me; I really don't collect number of "views."

So "Likes" rather than "views."

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 04:42:15 PM »
@ Pieter

I saw some of yours, nice job. But somehow you misreading it.
I do not TALK ABOUT slides from people who took the pictures themselves like you, I talk about any picture from any library or museos and such where virtually anyone can take any picture and upload it here.
That what I do not call shipspotting.
It may or may not very well be a fantastic job, however that's shipposting in my view, but not spotting. That also those ships were at some time "spotted" for sure, otherwise the pictures would not be in existence

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 05:09:31 PM »
@ Dirk

good points
I have by now about 10 copies of books where my pictures were used and various companies using some in their websites.
Private people who want the shot for sentimental reasons and whatever else is the reason they get the permission and that's it.
BTW, if you look up some UKHO / pilot books VOL 7/7a/69 and so on,,special North/South/Central America you will find a ton of my pictures there too, not from ships
but from general port installations/lights houses/bridges and other points of interest
to the prudent navigator (as you know, most young officer don,t even know anymore what pilot books are for !!!!)
The "like" botton would be fine for me too !!!

brgds
capt ted

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »
@ Pieter

I saw some of yours, nice job. But somehow you misreading it.
I do not TALK ABOUT slides from people who took the pictures themselves like you, I talk about any picture from any library or museos and such where virtually anyone can take any picture and upload it here.
That what I do not call shipspotting.
It may or may not very well be a fantastic job, however that's shipposting in my view, but not spotting. That also those ships were at some time "spotted" for sure, otherwise the pictures would not be in existence

brgds
capt ted

Taken your points to the extreme limit this simply means that photos can only be posted here by photographers that

a: are capable of using a computer
b. more importantly are still alive.......

It remains a grey area. Suppose my father would have given me thousands of fantastic negatives from which pictures were never published anywhere, and if i posted them now, would that be shipspotting or not. In other words could I share these important pictures with the members here or should I go to Shipnostalgia?

And as far as actual spotting is concerned, today I took my car to the Maasvlakte and the entrance of the Rotterdam Port area. I took about a hundred shots, I and saw several ships I had never seen before. However there turned out to be already so many shots of those ships on the site that I have refrained from posting anything, although some of the shots came out very well.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »
@ peter

as you said,,a very grey area.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk