Author Topic: Shipspotting or shipposting ?  (Read 26389 times)

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting or shipposting ?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 10:52:57 AM »
Cornelia
Happy christmas
Best regards
Peter  :)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »
As a member who lives far from the sea, my postings are in batches of visits.
However before posting, I always check how many photos already exist and I normally only post if 15 or less. If there are 200+ photos of the Queen Mary, is mine going to add anything to the knowldege of this vessel or is it so much better than others? No I think not!
I have over 5000 ship photos and given that some are not of sufficient quality, why would I want my photo so be shown; I am not that vain. You do not get a prize for most postings do you? :)

Happy Boxing day

Russ

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 08:23:11 PM »
As long they are done by themselves or own the copyright fine with me, but it really becomes a rather gray area I would say

Here's an example that happens to be top photo at the moment - a very good photo indeed it is, and it is a pleasure to see it.  Further, the poster helpfully gives the provenance of the image. But that is not the point.  It must, however, still be subject to copyright (if not specifically released into the Public Domain).  There is no indication that permission to publish has been granted by John Low. If it has, that's fine of course, but it should be stated. 
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2163267
I fear that the webmaster and mods will have a much larger - and thankless - task now with the acceptance of so many photos not taken by the member or posted with the specific permission of the photographer.

David

Online pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 09:01:28 PM »
Quote from Ted:

""somehow that is incorrect it,s called shipspotting,,not ship upload or ship showing or whatever. The initial idea was peoples take pictures and upload them,, now anyone, antwhewre can dig up any picture antwhere and upload them,, As long they are done by themselves or own the copyright fine with me,,, but it really becomes a rather gray area I would say"

This is an interesting concept. How much elapse time is acceptable between you take a picture and before you post it? If you shoot with a smart phone you can immediately post. Will it be a quality shot? Most likely no. But how much time can there be between shooting and uploading? One day, two days two years twenty yars? 

So this is a flawed argument. For myself, I took pictures of ships between roughly 1979 and 1989. I restarted doing that in 2012. Now am I allowed to post the pictures that I shot 30 plus years ago or am I restricted to the ones shot after 2011? Now that the internet allows fo publishing old material that has not be seen by many people before, I would say that a site like this is one of the best outlets for doing so. After all, these ships have been spotted, albeit some years ago. And rest assured that all the B&W photos that I upload are mine and taken by me. I hardly upload shots that I take today, because with modern technology about everybody is a photographer, which results in a plethora of photos of the same ship at different locations and often on the same location. No added value as far as I am concerned. I store my recent pictures for myself, and perhaps in thirty years time (when I am 96) I will post them...at least everyhting is well organised and taken my bicycle on my almost daily spotting tour will surely contribute to me reaching 96.

I noticed that you complained about the number of hits older shots are getting, and as somebody else mentioned, that is then what people like to see. Seems logical to me, I also are drwan to ships of which I have not yet seen 20 other pictures before.

Conclusion: As long as people post their own shots or shots for which they have explicit permission to post them, there is aboslutely no reason to lodge any complaints.

Happy shipspotting in 2015.     

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
@ Ken Smith re.: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2163335
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »
Re: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2163335
Sorry, but this photo is part of the archive of the Library of Congress and source should be corrected as follows:
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/det1994012433/PP/

Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
Details:
Title: S.S. Nieuw Amsterdam
Related Names:
Detroit Publishing Co. , publisher
Date Created/Published: [1909]
Medium: 1 negative : glass ; 8 x 10 in.
Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-det-4a16072 (digital file from original)
Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
Call Number: LC-D4-22580 [P&P]
Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
Notes:
"G 6492" on negative.
Detroit Publishing Co. no. 022580.
Gift; State Historical Society of Colorado; 1949.
Subjects:
Nieuw Amsterdam (Ocean liner)
Ocean liners.
Hudson-Fulton Celebration, 1909.
Naval parades & ceremonies.
United States--New York (State)--New York.
United States--New York (State)--Hudson River.
Format:
Dry plate negatives.
Collections:
Detroit Publishing Company
Part of: Detroit Publishing Company Photograph Collection

@ Ken: May I remember you to your rules stated under 7. Copyright protection dated under Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 10:27:43 pm

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »
How about just www.shipphotosharing.com instead?  :D Because "ship spotting" would mean spotting a ship in reality. We don't spot anything here but sharing what we or someone spotted, what can be wrong with that?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:41:27 PM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 10:03:22 PM »
Ken, Re Nieuw Amsterdam photo, referred to above.
I don't think it needs all that blah blah mentioned by PHa.
If you look at the web site to which he refers, you can dig deeper into the rights etc.
Under the original publisher's data, it basically says the photo is in the public domain, having been published before 1923. (This one was taken in 1909).
http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/102_det.html

Online pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »
I know this topic is not new, but somehow I feel that it goes a little the wrong way.
At present there are 17 out of the top 24 pictures in the last 24hr , pictures of ships from a bygone time, i.e. most of it are not pictures taken by the poster.

I re-read the first post of this topic and if you read the quoted section carefully it looks like the topic starter seems to have  more of a problem with the fact that old ships get more hits than anything else. This merely underlines the preference of the average viewer,i.e. that with current modern ships, you mostly end up with: "

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »
I think, it is a pity, that the way is going, as it goes now. I personally do not have a problem with photos of old ships are posted, as long it is within guidelines.

I must confess, that Pieter is right, I also think that the problem is, that these old photos are generating many hits, and as well, therefore often "jump in your face" because of the way, this website works with the Top Three.

I also do not have any problem with this, because I am personally also happy, to search and find photos of old coasters and ferries on this site.

I though DO THINK that the way this website is run with these TOP THREE is very unlucky.
I have also noticed, that many of these photos, Theo is referring to, are in the top three, but yet they do not have any comments. So I suggest, the people who upload them, are pushing the hits up by a certain way, and of course, I am not surprised, that this sooner or later annoys people.

I am very sad, a member does not want to upload photos anymore because of the discussion, but I believe, the problem is not the photos, but the way, it is arranged with Top Three and Hits.

I think, if these Top Three would be skipped, in favour of simply showing every uploaded photo for around 5 Minutes on this site, or even show 3 random photos, there would be soon an end of this discussion.

OK, this is my opinion, not sure, am I on the right way, or on the wrong way? As English is not my mother language, please ignore any spelling mistakes in case you find them ;) ;)

With greetings,

Cornelia

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 02:53:48 PM »
I personally have no interest in how many hits a particular photograph has, and I would suggest it's pure vanity when people are stressing about how many hits their photographs get. When I look at photographs on her I'm usually looking for a specific vessel, or randomly browsing, usually latest uploads.

I've no problem with photographs of older vessels being posted, as has already been said, they have all been spotted and photographed at some point. If they have not been taken by the poster, then a source acknowledgement is in order, and the copyright rules are clear enough.

I've no problem with any of my photographs been uploaded to a not-for-profit site like this by other posters as long as the source is acknowledged. They don't have to ask me first. I'm rather flattered if someone thinks my photograph is good enough to share!!!!

It seems to me in recent weeks we've had rather too many people getting agitated if their photograph has got deleted, or doesn't get enough hits. Too much self and not enough community.

Online pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 04:28:35 PM »
^^^^That too  :)

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 08:26:22 PM »
I just tried increasing the hits on one of my photos. For the time it took me to add another 2 hits, I reckon it would take several hours to get to say 100 and I'm not sure if this site counts hits from a poster on his own photos, or if it only counts a hit once on a single login session but I had to log out and then back in, once as a guest, in an attempt to register the new hits.

I would find it hard to believe that anyone would waste all that time to increase the hits to the numbers we are seeing. This would also suggest this is because of the popularity of the older photos and the reason that we may not see any comments might be because we know that they did not take the photos themselves, therefore may consider it would not be appropriate to compliment them on a "great shot" when they were not the photographer.

Tony
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:29:13 PM by Tony des Landes »

Online pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 09:29:30 PM »
Tony, please feel free to comment on any of my shots on the site... ;)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 02:31:12 PM »
Hi tony

it is much easier then you think
I have for example a Panoramio account. That a section of Google where pictures uploaded are also connected with google earth. If I would upload ships there and link it to shipspotter every hit on google earth on my pictures would be counted as hit on spotter too.
I have a friend , who also posting here and on Panoramio (but does not link,same as me) has on about 6500 pictures on Panoramio 27.000.000 plus hits, you do the math :-))

to others
The whole intention of my initial post was the situation that virtually anybody can upload anything, as long it meets the standards. As also stated , I like old pictures of ships and I know that a lot members put a lot of effort into it to make them "presentable" for uploading. however , personally,  I do not call that shipspotting but rather shipposting.

FURTHER, this whole topic has absolutely nothing to do with deleting , or standard of pictures or hits,, just about the situation of this site and where it is heading.

The site lost a few posters, which were long time members. Also I upload less and less, also when I reached by now 19800 pictures.  have about 5-6000 stand by,,but presently now and then I upload some,,but in general this site becomes for me PERSONAL more and more not the one where I want to invest too much time anymore. (hopefully in my next vacation that comes back !!)
However, that said,,it seems to be still one of the best sites for spotters on the net as far as I am concerned

Happy New Year to all here
brgds
capt ted

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 03:00:42 PM »
@ Derek
I HEAR YOU,, I STILL SAW THEM WHEN I STARTED SAILING IN 75. THEY LOOKED GOOD THEN AND STILL NOW
BRGDS
CAPT TED
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk