Author Topic: Shipspotting or shipposting ?  (Read 26351 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Shipspotting or shipposting ?
« on: December 23, 2014, 08:08:13 PM »
I know this topic is not new, but somehow I feel that it goes a little the wrong way.
At present there are 17 out of the top 24 pictures in the last 24hr , pictures of ships from a bygone time, i.e. most of it are not pictures taken by the poster.
I know that is now excepted standard here and personally I like old ships.
However also, personally I must say it becomes more and more a turn off for me to stay more and more away from shipspotter.
Sadly so, I think

Merry Chirstmas and a happy new year to all
Capt Ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting or shipposting ?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 09:33:16 PM »
All ships on this site have been "spotted", even if it was 50 years ago and by someone else.

It is permissible to post photos by someone else subject to the copyright conditions and in a number of cases I have been very thankful that some members have been prepared to share these gems with us.

Often the most popular postings over a day are some of these older ships and if it were not for this site, then possibly some of these images would become lost forever.

So for me I enjoy these older ships and am always hopeful I will see some that I can use for my own collection of Napier shipping.

Merry Xmas

Tonyd

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:33:28 AM »
Hi Tony

I do not question that they were not spotted, a Chinese dhow from 1600 century or a Hanse Kogge from 1500 century were spotted too. What I say is that the site which started as a
pure ship spotting from peoples which liked to fotograph them and posted their own pictures in various locations it changed into a site where virtually anyone can upload anything as long it is not copyright violated.
Somehow the site goes in the wrong direction in my personal opinion. That means not that I do not like to see pictures of old vessels. But it takes over the whole site, the moment
one opens the page one sees old ships.
Not really the intented goal when it all started I think.

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 10:33:59 AM »
In a way Ted, you've answered your own question. If 17 out of 24 most popular photographs are of older ships then this shows it's what members want.

The site has evolved over the years, and much of that has been member driven, which is as it should be. I think that despite a few vitriolic members and ex members making loud noises recently, the statistics bear this out. Look at the number of photographs posted, the number of active members, the number of hits on photographs, none of that says to me that the site is going anywhere but in the right direction.

Personally I like the fact that the site is evolving into a mix of current and old shipping. It's good to have a single resource of both types, and, if you add to that the amount of background information available on each vessel, I think this is truly remarkable for a free site.

I always prefer to see a shot of a vessel new to this site, rather than another shot of a vessel with a large number of photographs already on the site. That said, it's also good to see a ship in different locations and contexts, and, if you are planning a port visit, it's good to look at shots from that port to get an idea of traffic, locations etc.

I've only just started uploading photographs, but so far I've tried to only load new to site ships (not 100%), and that, does lead to some older photographs from my misspent youth.

So, I hope that the site continues to appeal to ship enthusiasts of all types. I would like to thank all the uploaders for their efforts, it is all very much appreciated.

Offline Andreas Schlatterer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 11:25:13 AM »
Hello together

For me all the arguments you used in your statements are acceptable, but I have to give my position in all way to the statement of Captain Ted.
I like old ships more as the ships from today, I started sailing in the beginning of the eighties when vessels like the old Lykes Liners and the state lines from Colombia and russia and othe countries like Brazil was still seen on the oceans , beautiful ships compared to the boxes from nowadays, but the site as I understand was a shipspotter site. I personal also get less interested in this site over the years specially then this " most viewed pics" was installed. It leads to a lot of argumentations and discussions which was not at all time "friendly".

For myself, just remove this most viewed ships from the top bring in like it was before the last 12 vessels and everybody can decide  what he like.

My opinion, my thoughts in a short text

Merry Christmas, bon Noel und Frohe Weihnachten
Capesize
just now at the southern Part of the Gulf of Bengal
Capesize

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 01:40:38 PM »
@ SIMONWP

good points and of course acceptable your point of view. However as I stated above it is a shipspotter site and if someone took a picture in his young years and uploads it now, absolutely nothing against that. I refer more to pictures taken from libraries and other sources where for example copyright is left out completely. I guess its a "dicy" matter
in its entirety.
I understand also that some members who upload them put a lot of efforts into fixing them to be uploaded in the best possible shape which is a good point to leave it at that.
Still for my part that is not spotting. That's my whole point on it.

@ Andreas
Taking the most viewed away would impact the sites"good opening" page for non members. I my mind it looks more appealing then just the last 10-12 or so flicking through. 
Though, I understand your point, special when I think about the linked pictures. If one klicks on the 365 days pictures almost half of the top 10 are plain ships etc where anyone can see that it must be linked to some other sites, otherwise it would never get 10000 or so hits.

in that sense,,merry Christmas and a happy new year to you both

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 01:48:43 PM »
Shipspotting ship posting or ship argument site
I think the site is superb for collecting information about past ships
Or do you want to see this site called container ship spotting
The older ships give this site a real insite in to what ships used to be like
Sleek , curvaceous vessels that roamed our waters in times past
The best site on the Internet  for great photos and information that you would normally have to pay for
We don't need to start another argument
It's christmas
Go and have a beer
All the best to all
Kind regards
Peter
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:33:56 PM by peter j. fitzpatrick »

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 04:09:05 PM »
Hello Ted,

I have read through yours and others arguements and thought about them.

Of course the ships should be about shipspotting. I am happy, to find photos of old coasters when I am looking for them, when I am searching for them. As well older ferries and so on.

It is true, private photographs by Captains etc. do really belong here. Press photos, I would say no.

I also would not say, that there is an overwhelming amount of old ship photos from press etc. on this site, if I compare with what is here on modern ships.

What makes this all go sour, is following and already some time ago some members have discussed to change it, but unfortunatelly nothing happens. So, perhaps someone of the admin team will read this, and they can talk about it, and perhaps it is worth to change:

The Top Three are very often old ships, and NO I do not complain that they are old ships, but it is obvious that they are "pushed upwards" somehow, very often they also remain there without comments. And, this SHOULD NOT BE!!! And I also believe this is, what Ted does not like about it, together with the fact that some are press archive photos.

I personally would think, that skipping these Top Three would be a good thing, I find it annoying because it is not really top three but the photos are artificially pushed upwards, either by links or by more and more comments.

Said my word, now I am courious, what YOU think about this?

Greetings, and a Merry Christmas,

Cornelia
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:40:09 PM by Ken Smith »

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »
Cornelia
Check your spelling on the second line
It could be a mistake , then again !
Happy christmas
Thankyou admins
Peter  ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:43:47 PM by peter j. fitzpatrick »

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
Cheers ken
I hope so
All the best and keep up your good work
Kind regards
Peter

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 05:14:36 PM »
@ Cornelia

good points all in all

the top three I do not have a problem with,, could be easy put that way that only
 hits from this site are counted and links a permitted,  mean why not, but hits on the links should be not counted. That would make the whole picture totally different

Others suggested last 10-12,,would be an option,,but I believe for an outsider, new looking at spotter it makes more sense when 3 stay there for a while and not flipping constantly through as the pictures getting uploaded.

ontainer website was mentioned, also true,, I mean I do not have much cont ships, as bulker we coming not much to those ports and bigger cont ships or the biggest getting much fanfare,,special when the outside is blue.
In general I like this site very much,,also when I took all my funnel pictures of because someone thought that his funnel pictures are "always" superb compared with others and he was sitting at the delete button.
But all said the site is good,, just goes for my taste too much to the "old ship" section.
Which is not really spotting,,a lot of work though by the posters who do so and that would be for me personally totally impossible to fix up old slides or pics. (would go nuts over it !!!

Anyhow, overall the site is ok for me !!!

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »
Peter J. Fitzpatrick, all you find to remark about my post is a spelling error??? No mentioning of the Content? If you find spelling errors, you can keep them of course :) As well I did not find any. I wrote the text, to discuss a certain matter with you and also was courious for admins i
opinion not discussing any lousy spelling error of which I did also not find any in my post. English is not my motherlanguage, so please ignore the errors and instead concentrate on the text and give your opinion. Thank you very much in advance.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:44:37 PM by Cornelia Klier »

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 02:57:02 AM »
The site is a ship photos database to which people add... ship photos, spotted by own cameras few minutes ago or by other people some decades ago.  In both cases people spot ships & post ships here. Period.
Barely care about the Top Photos charts now since all stuff has been said several times already, I'm still loyal to scrolling through recent uploads where I find whatever is interesting among all that that was posted since my last scrolling.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 03:28:44 AM »
Denis

somehow that is incorrect it,s called shipspotting,,not ship upload or ship showing or whatever. The initial idea was peoples take pictures and upload them,, now anyone, antwhewre can dig up any picture antwhere and upload them,, As long they are done by themselves or own the copyright fine with me,,, but it really becomes a rather gray area I would say

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 03:37:24 AM »
Well, surely some decades ago people who took those photos weren't technically able to upload them here, so they used libraries or such to somehow keep them available. And I bet many of those people would be happy to have their photos on here for anyone.
Ted, I'm not sure what you don't like here. Everyone just tries to share photos they have with others.
Regards,
Denis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk