ShipSpotting.com
Login: Lost Password? SIGN UP
Ship Photo Search
Advanced Search
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Felixstowe Trip?  (Read 9472 times)
chrisg46
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2014, 06:19:09 pm »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to do this, but I'm thinking about putting together a day's boat trip from Ipswich, down the Orwell to Felixstowe, then a look at Harwich and HIP. I think the cost would be around 30 for the day, with ad-lib tea and coffee, and hopefully a bacon roll for brekkie. The only other expense would be car parking, which would probably somewhat less than a fiver.

We could definitely get up close and personal with a ship or three, and probably see one or two under way.

Any thoughts?
Report to moderator   Logged

Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk
chrisg46
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 10:05:25 pm »

Rather fancy a barge, in fact, Derek.

Chris
John Jones
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:58:00 pm »

Sounds like my kind of thing Chris. Keep me posted, has the potential for a great day out.
Best Regards
John

Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.
chrisg46
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 10:19:32 am »

S/B Victor is up for the trip, and she can carry up to 40 people. There's a large open cabin down below, with a heater, and on-tap tea and coffee freely available. She sails from Ipswich, so we get to pass along the vessels alongside there, then down the Orwell. We can run past the whole of Felixstowe's quays, and then divert up the Stour to run past Harwich and Harwich International Port.

Depending on traffic on the day, we might be able to loiter relatively nearby when any vessels are moving. Depending on other factors, we might also be able to get a fish'n'chip lunch abaord, maybe if we can get alongside at Harwich . . but it might be best to initially plan on bringing your own packed food.

There's plenty of reasonably cheap parking nearby at Ipswich (more details later).

I've put up a suggested price of around 30 on the basis that maybe 25/30 people might fancy it, if more came it could be cheaper.

The biggest issue with a barge is that it is an open deck, so could be cold and rainy - I don't think we could cancel for rain. But I'm sure that in my case I could dig out my old sailing long johns, and another couple of teeshirts, and I'm sure other people could do something similar!

If enough people to make it happen would like to let me know here, I'll take it further. I also have a couple of other treats that we might be able to do on the same day.

Chris
Russell Judge
Supporter
Quite a regular

Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 12:18:47 pm »

I might be interested depending on roughly when it was.
Any sort of ball park date envisaged?
Robert J Smith
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 02:24:39 pm »

Something I would also be interested in but would depend on timing and fitting it in with work.

Look forward to seeing a ball park date like Russell

Regards

Bob
chrisg46
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 11:20:17 am »

Let's try and sort the date, then - would you prefer weekdays or weekends, during the winter or leave it til April?

Chris
Riverman2903
Just can't stay away

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 11:34:29 am »

I'd be up for a Springtime trip. Did the barge trip in around 2005 with the Thames Ship Society, very good with plenty of open deck space, always an advantage when you have more than one person wanting to take photographs!

Look forward to more details as and when.

Andrew

chrisg46
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 06:52:09 pm »

I'll have a chat with them soon, and come back to this after Christmas, if that's okay.

But if anyone else wants to register an interest on this topic, i'd be delighted to hear from you here!

Chris
Westie
Just popping in

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 03:21:48 pm »

Hi Chris
I did this trip back in July on the Orwell Lady and had a great day I am definitely up for a barge trip so if you do manage to put it together you can count on me.
Russell Judge
Supporter
Quite a regular

Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 03:37:38 pm »

Hi Chris
April would also be fine for me as I could include a visit to RSPB Minsmere.
Count me in
Thanks
Russ
davidships
Webmaster
Top Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 05:38:52 pm »

Chris - please keep me in the loop on this - my travels not clear yet for the Spring, but will come if I can.

David
PietB
Quite a regular

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 10:57:10 am »

Hullo Chris

Dependant on selected date, would be very interested.
Thanks.

Piet B
chrisg46
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 08:50:01 pm »

Just spent an interesting day filming aboard Sailing Barge Victor - she was carrying a party of RSPB birdwatchers on a day trip from Harwich to Mistley, and back, and I continued with the vessel back up to Ipswich, enjoying a spell at the helm, too - although I wasn't impressed with my skills in a flat-bottomed vessel in a tideway, and with strong breeze on the bow!

At start of February, she'll be off to Maldon for her 5-year MCA survey and a general paint and tidy, then she'll be back at Ipswich for more work. She should be ready to start her season which sails bent on in late April, so in the next week or two, I'll put up some possible dates. To help hard-working members, I'll see what we can do at weekends, too.

We could probably get a spell under canvas if the weather is suitable - fancy that?

I'll do a little trip report here later, and will put up a video about this day in a day or two - I'll be filming several trips aboard Victor during 2015.

Chris
chrisg46
Top Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 01:47:46 pm »

Just a quick update!

Had a chat with Victor's skipper, and the time looks like being late April or early May - probably the latter. I'll get him to propose a couple of date when she's completed her MCA inspection in a couple of weeks.

The overall cost of the barge will be somewhere around 900 to 1,000 for the day, and that will accommodate up to 40 people - but I expect we'll get some sort of discount, and an included bacon roll, plus ad-lib tea and coffee during the trip. If we can get around 30 people aboard, I should think it will come out to around 30 per head. I don't want to get anything out of the event personally, so think that it would be best to give the dates when I have them, explain the finances as they will then be clear, and see how we go! If we have a full barge (unlikely, perhaps) then the cost could be down at 23/25 a head.

The trip will consist of a run down the Orwell, a couple of hours including locking out at Ipswich, a cruise past Ipswich Cliff Quay, a cruise along Felixstowe's container terminal, then a look at Harwich, and up to Parkeston Quay - hopefully we may get lucky and have a cruise liner in.

I'll also have a chat with some people I know at Felixstowe and see if we can get anything special to look at there - I've got one or two ideas that may happen and add to the days interest and enjoyment!

Just an extra thought - if we can get this one done, I wouldn't mind organising one or two a year . . . there's a place on the Thames I know some people would like to visit!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:51:12 pm by chrisg46 » Report to moderator   Logged

Chris
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: