Author Topic: It is really disapointing.....  (Read 38582 times)

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It is really disapointing.....
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 03:29:07 PM »
Hello everyone,

I know deletions is never an easy topic. I am a long year member here, I have uploaded many ship photos and indeed, I had my good share of deletions.

The deletions are usually caused by the fact, that it is not really possible to be always objective towards own photographs. So, I get some deleted every now and then.

As I know, that 2 PEOPLE are looking on the photos, it is o.k. with me, if such is decided. Usually the reason is, that I missed out one of rule.

All that is o.k. with me.

The other "rants" members are having here, should however be taken serious by admins, and there should be a face-to-face conversation, taking eachothers serious etc.. and not a conversation like a teacher would have with a pupil. This is very important, I think and as well also solve problems, and not show "don't rock the boat" policy.

So, I would say: 90% of the work of the admins is o.k., the 10% can be talked about, and found a solution, if every party is showing good will.

Let's be a good community :)

Cornelia

Offline Rexroth

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »

One of the big problems with deletions is a total lack of consistency. My reward for commenting on this in the past has invariably been dismissive or even spiteful.

Let

Offline PHa

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
Open Letter to the editor:

Hello Ken,

your message has been well noted.

What you should know:

Rule

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2014, 01:09:11 PM »
REXROTH !
I see that you highlighted one of my photos that should be deleted
I cannot seem to find any photos by you on the site !
The photo of the ship interspirit that was in contact with the wall at Alfred loch that I had published the Here I have now self deleted
If you have problems with my photos I would rather you come to me and tell me that you don't like the photo than make a point on the forum
I try to pick unusual photos for this forum and this was a one off occasion of a ship colliding with the sea wall and causing damage to the bow
I do get photos removed by admins and I now have no problem with it
If you have photos deleted from here then go and put them on another site which allow them
Someone once said " post quality photos not quantity "
I think he's quite right
If any other member has a problem with my photos here tell me and I will delete them
Your loss not mine
Kind regards
Peter j fitzpatrick
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:18:20 PM by peter j. fitzpatrick »

Offline Rexroth

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »
Hey, Peter. Now just hold those doggone horses.

Where on earth did I say your photo should be deleted? You have totally missed the point. I happen to think that your photo was a good one and fully deserved to be on the website. My gripe was that another photograph, full of interest and showing work being done on the stern of the ship, should NOT have been deleted.

You are quite correct - I have no photographs on this website. I was under the impression that the site was for ship spotters rather than exclusively for ship photographers. I apologise for my misunderstanding.

Offline Glenn Kasner

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 08:01:51 AM »
A few questions I would like answered as I too have noticed inconsistent standards relating to pictures acceptable to the site over recent months and when I queried this was not given a satisfactory answer.
1. Who briefs the Admins as to what is acceptable and what isn't?
2. Do Admins ever consult among each other as far as establishing if a picture is acceptable or not?
3.Is anyone benefitting financially from the pictures posted on this site? If so, then who?

Offline Glenn Kasner

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »
Thanks Ken, I'll accept your word for that. It's just that I don't seem to be the only person who has noticed the inconsistancy as far as site standards / requirements are concerned. I recently had a picture deleted for the reason that the vessel was too distant ind "picture not clear" ,  my eyes must be playing up because I've seen pictures of ships far more distant that that and others a whole lot fuzzier. The scanned pictures mentioned in the forum are great examples.  The originals may have been good but they eere possibly scanned at low resolution.
Sometimes pictures are posted that show an interesting part of a vessel. I had a picture deleted because it didnt include the whole mast of the yacht . The point was to show the deck of a modern ocean racing yacht but even my explanation was met with a stern, "it does not comply"  answer.
I was always under the impression that the purpose of the site was to share our common interest in things that float but that seems to have changed in recent times and it is interesting to note that others that feel likewise are by and large veteran contributors to the site.

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
It is really disapointing.....
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 10:54:42 PM »
Yesterday or today three (3) of my photos posted (M/V Puffin Arrow) two (2) of them posted the 30th of January of 2015 and the other one in the year 2013, in all of them it is stated in the same robotic message the following:

"Dear Tomislav Raymondi,

Your photo of Puffin Arrow (Photo ID: 2182353) has been removed.

Reason: Exposure
The photo is too bright or too dark and detail difficult to see.

Personal message from admin:
Poor quality and grainy

Site standards can be found here:
http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Site%20standards%20for%20all%20photos

Regards,
Shipspotting.com Photo Admins"

My question is, how did you realize that a photo posted in 2013 did not comply with the web site standards?

THIS HAS BEEN ENOUGH, I AM NOT GOING TO TOLERATE THE WHIMS OF WHO KNOWS WHO TO DELETE PHOTOS.

Regards

Tomislav Raymondi.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:00:04 AM by Tomislav Raymondi »

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 11:10:39 PM »
Hi Tomislav,

To answer your question about your photo that was posted in 2013; a lot of images get posted onto the site so it's understandable that some may get missed by admin looking after the category. With the new summary page, some admins check to see if the ship is in the right category and may also check the images out as well. Searching the site in general also returns the odd photo that's been missed.

Kind Regards
Cody

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2015, 11:20:51 PM »
Thank you very much Cody for your kind reply.

Kind Regards

Tomislav Raymondi.

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2015, 03:43:10 AM »
It seems that recently there has been quite a few photos of the same ship by the same photographer/s that are very similar. Some are a bit more zoomed in then the other while with some the angle of the ship is just slightly different. Is it just me or have others noticed it?

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2015, 08:11:01 AM »
I find it also disappointing that more and more photo's appear here taken in the evening or even at night. Or with bad lightning, more "artistic" than "shipspotting".

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2015, 10:35:12 PM »
I am OK with evening shots. While they definitely look artistic (which I like), they do show the ship fully. Bad lighting where the ship is not visible well is certainly not OK.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk