Author Topic: It is really disapointing.....  (Read 38536 times)

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It is really disapointing.....
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 12:52:47 PM »
--no photographers--- no photos - no shipspotting site !!
--
@simominwp what is your contribution to this site? from you no one can delete a photo because there is no ! so don't write about things you can't imagine !
Oh I remember you do something with dia's and what is with the photos of the last 10 years? where are they? you can post them,  in 5 hours 100 pictures no problem !
This started with a thread (where is this thread gone?) picures from Berge Stahl were posted and suddenly deleted.
The picture were out of the standard for this site but they were UNIQUE.
If the pictures were from a ship which is here 100 times no problem delete and throw it away.
But this were the only pictures from this theme.
Everyone must expect that the admin see the impotance of the pictures and let it in as long there are no better ones.
That is the fact.
And now all throw dirt on the photographer. We will loose another top photographer ( I have learnt this is only for the amount of pictures) with 2.000 pictures but obviosly all this picturese are very good..
Simonwp and the others do you step into the breach and posts 2000 pictures of such an interesting area as Rotterdam? Or do you have perhaps a better area?
This is not the only site for a photographer to publish his pictures there are a lot of others. The photographers don't need shipspotting.com but shipspotting.com neede the photographers.
Peter
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 02:09:33 PM »
--no photographers--- no photos - no shipspotting site !!
--
@simominwp what is your contribution to this site? from you no one can delete a photo because there is no ! so don't write about things you can't imagine !
Oh I remember you do something with dia's and what is with the photos of the last 10 years? where are they? you can post them,  in 5 hours 100 pictures no problem !
This started with a thread (where is this thread gone?) picures from Berge Stahl were posted and suddenly deleted.
The picture were out of the standard for this site but they were UNIQUE.
If the pictures were from a ship which is here 100 times no problem delete and throw it away.
But this were the only pictures from this theme.
Everyone must expect that the admin see the impotance of the pictures and let it in as long there are no better ones.
That is the fact.
And now all throw dirt on the photographer. We will loose another top photographer ( I have learnt this is only for the amount of pictures) with 2.000 pictures but obviosly all this picturese are very good..
Simonwp and the others do you step into the breach and posts 2000 pictures of such an interesting area as Rotterdam? Or do you have perhaps a better area?
This is not the only site for a photographer to publish his pictures there are a lot of others. The photographers don't need shipspotting.com but shipspotting.com neede the photographers.
Peter

I think it's more of a case of no administrators, no webmaster, no website. There are enough photographers posting who are if not entirely happy with all aspects of the site, are at least happy enough to continue posting for the site not to be too disadvantaged if one or two unhappy photographers leave. As you say Shipspotting is not the only site, and other sites may well be more suited to the type of photographs you wish to post. As it is this site has certain standards, and, no- matter how unique a photograph is if it doesn't meet the standards it is deleted.

Please read my post properly before commenting on why I haven't yet posted any photographs on this site. I will be in the future, but it will be one view per vessel. And I will accept any deletions without argument, I can guarantee that.

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
I think it's more of a case of no administrators, no webmaster, no website.

That's really some kind of elite thinking, isn't it? You make it sound like webmaster and admins are the government of Shipspotting.com.

"Would it not be easier in that case for the government to dissolve the people and elect another?" (Bertolt Brecht)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »
LMAO !!!!!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 05:03:11 PM »
You'd sure have my vote, Derek (that's in case of election, not in the case of stepping down) ;D

(And should you ever be elected King I'd already like to apply for the job of court jester) 8)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 05:10:10 PM »
Make it something like Danny Kaye was wearing in "The Court Jester" ;D

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »
A lot of contributors to this thread seem to think this argument is about deletions.
They're wrong. The argument is about the way members are treated these days.
It includes deletions, but the problem does not stop there.

I've been a member of this site from the beginning. I've experienced good times and bad times, contributed financially to it's survival and in the process uploaded almost 5,000 pictures, in conjunction with my fellow shipspotter Piero Corona.

He was responsible for unique pictures like scrapping in Chittagong, Suez Canal pictures and pictures in Lagos as well as Vietnam. I limited myself to the Rotterdam area where agents and port authorities were willing to assist. Sometimes the administrators did not particularly like certain pictures, but usually this would be resolved after consulting with the webmasters.

Last year, and in spite of the political upheaval in Egypt, Piero Corona managed to take a vast number of pictures at Suez. He had every right to be proud of this achievement. But then we were told these pictures were not welcome on the site. It had nothing to do with their quality, but only with the fact they were made in a politically unstable area.

After quite an argument with the webmaster we were allowed to upload them, but since then we've seen more and more deletions, to the point they started using ridiculous arguments. As an example, a Suez picture was deleted because of an obstructing lanternpole in the foreground.

The whole situation went from bad to worse and climaxed when pictures taken on board of the "Berge Everest" were deleted. That happened 5 minutes after I had logged out and in spite of 150 hits in their first half hour on the site. I did not complain on the forum at first, but voiced my dissatisfaction privately, to no avail. Only then did I go out on the forum.

In that thread, which was meanwhile removed by the webmaster, Phil English accused me of "abuse" and Ken Smith hailed a remark by a relatively unexperienced shipspotter as a prime example for all. After consulting with Piero Corona we decided to withdraw all our pictures which until then had received millions of hits.

This is the story. No more, no less. I have every right to ask if this is a site for the webmaster and his pals or for the benefit of a large number of shipspotters. And when I ask such a question  I expect a decent reply without accusations of " abuse" from the administrators, censorship by the webmaster or being cursed at by other members.  I am neither the first, nor the only member who is greatly annoyed by this attitude.

Robert Smith.

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »
Not the first time I hear such a story as yours, Robert, that's the reason I was quoting Brecht earlier in this forum thread.
(and when I say "hear" I don't mean hearsay)

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 10:29:08 PM »

Welcome to the club Robert. So many good photographers already left this site.
And the admins still have no clue? I doubt it.
Wish they made the deletionprocess a little more user friendly.
Believe me there's a life outside this community :-)
Cheers man.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 04:14:58 AM »
Have to say, sometimes following the argument of some ADM,s isn,t easy,,but then the arguments on the other side sometimes are not much better.

May be some people have noticed that I deleted all my funnel pictures (about 500) and do not
upload anymore there also because of the notion that the ADM there has or had a problem with staying impartial.

Said that, most ADM,s and the Webmaster doing a good job also when sometimes I shake my head and Ken can confirm that we had our arguments. However for me and others this site is still the best I can find or what I came across so far.

and yes,,sad to see you go Robert
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 04:45:46 AM »
I think it's time to put this thread to bed.

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 11:33:21 AM »
you think its time to put it to bed.. very democratic indeed..

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 12:48:59 PM »
Yes Fergal.  It's called freedom of speech (and nothing to do with democracy).
I agree with Cody.

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 01:25:34 PM »
So freedom of speech has nothing to do with democracy... A most interesting concept! It's getting better and better  ???

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »
Shipspotting is not a government - or any other kind of organisation - in which the members exercise any power.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demokratie

We are however free to express our opinions on the forum, subject only to forum rules
http://www.shipspotting.com/support/faq.php?category=Code%20Of%20Conduct

Two different things.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk