Author Topic: CHANGE OF RULE FOR MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHS  (Read 18570 times)

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: CHANGE OF RULE FOR MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHS
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
Tuomas, no it is not the other way around, you are wrong here.

The answer is not so simple, to say "people post too many photos".

When this site here started, there were just a few people posting photos, and digital cameras were not so common yet. Also, shipspotting was not so common yet. This site has grown immensely during past few years, not just because members post what some think "too many" photos, but as well there is an increase of shipspotters from all around the world in general! Remember, when this site started, even internet was not something everyone had and used :) 

So, it does depend: What does this site want? Many shipspotters who upload a certain number of photos? That is fine with me. But, increasing number of members? That means also more photos.

It does also depend on, how much the owners want to invest into this site, or if they just want to run a badly repaired car.

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
Tuomas is actually right, in terms of the context anyway.
"Work on the disease, not just trying to cure the symptoms"
you cannot cure symptoms, they are the signals of a problem. you can only cure or irradicate the disease

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 03:09:45 PM »
Too many photos? Redundancies? A few random examples:

AZURA, cruise liner, 299 pics,
CAP SAN DIEGO, museum ship, 268 pics,
IDA RAMBOW, feeder, 261 pics,
CRESTWAY, dredger, 190 pics
QUEEN ELIZABETH 2, 815 pics (!)

It is not possible to investigate this systematically.
But there is no doubt that some ships are spotted "too often", just because they are frequent visitors in ports with many active shipspotters.
The situation is a wee bit lopsided indeed.
cheers

Uwe

Offline jdap

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
Hi Ken,

May I submit that you distinguish between docked vessels and sailing vessels? On the same date you may take photos of a docked vessel, and later on the same day you may take some more photos of the same vessel sailing (or vice-versa), and that is certainly not the same kind of photo. And viewers may have an interest in both...

How can we handle that, post multiple photos of each situation (if need be), and still comply with the R&R?

Best regards,

Jos

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 08:14:29 PM »
Now that the new rule is in effect for about three weeks, maybe it's about time to change rule no. 7 (Site standards for all photos) accordingly ::)

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 10:13:14 AM »
Following on from my comments in another thread I would be interested to know why some posters do post so many shots of the same ship on the same day, or even the same ship on different days.

Speaking personally, if there is more than one page of photographs of a ship when I search, I rarely look at more than the first page. If someone has posted six different shots of a ship at slightly different angles as it passes them, I just skip through them and don't really look.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk