Author Topic: CHANGE OF RULE FOR MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHS  (Read 18571 times)

kensmith

CHANGE OF RULE FOR MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHS
« on: October 29, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »

Hi All,

As you will know we have had a difficult time with the Website over the past few weeks which has been hard for us all particularly for me because I have not been able to communicate with you for updates.

The main reason for this was a clash with Codes on the old site conflicting with those introduced on the new one which have built up over time and eventually caused the website to crash.

During the past few weeks a great deal of work has taken place to overcome this and we owe it to Henrik for what he has done to rectify the problem, it has not been easy and much discussion has taken place during this time to ensure it does not happen again and I can confirm that as a result of this a new server will be installed.

Most of the work has now been completed and the website is almost back to normal, there are however one or two problems to resolve before the the new server is installed.

We must now play our part in ensuring that this never happens again so with this in mind changes have been made with regard to the number of photographs that can be uploaded at a given time, we get on average up to 400/500 photographs uploaded daily and the maximum has been six at any one time, to ease the pressure this has now been reduced to four and rule 5 has been amended accordingly.
       ----------------------------------------------------------------
5. How many photos of a vessel can be posted at the same time?

When posting multiple photos of the same vessel taken on the same Date, the submission must be restricted to a maximum of 4 photographs with a significant change of Aspect/Angle between the photographs.

This new rule will take effect from Monday Nov 3rd 2014

My thanks to you all for your continued support and I would urge all members and in particular new ones to ensure that they read and familiarise themselves with the Website Rules and Standards and also the Uploading Guidelines and they can be found here

http://www.shipspotting.com/support/index.php

Kind regards
Ken Smith
Webmaster

Offline jdap

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: CHANGE OF RULE FOR MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHS
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »
Hi Ken,

Many thanks for letting us know.

4 photos of the same vessel taken in sequence means in practice that the angle of view has now increased from 30

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:45:31 AM »
Hello Ken

Four (4) photos for a ship is excellent, one from fore to aft and one viceversa plus one per band are great to show a whole ship.

Regards

Tomi.

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:26:10 AM »
I think would be better to limit number of photos of the same vessel per person/portfolio as well.What I see some members have more than 30-40 photos of the same vessel and continue to upload them.I do not see the reason.This is just clogging server. >:( :'(
I do not like to watch the same local ferries every a couple days.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:31:39 PM by Sinisa Aljinovic »

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 12:25:22 AM »
So uploading 6 photos of same vessel from one date as 1-2 per day or between many days/weeks/months would be wrong? I thought it was about reducing the pressure on site by limiting the amount of photos a member plans to upload non-stop during one day.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 05:47:22 AM »
Hi Ken and Henrik.

Thanks for the clear explanation as always. Also thanks for the effort the team has done, in order to make everything run again on the site.

Rgds Hannes.

Offline Trygve Eriksen

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »
Thanks for all good work done so we still can show our maritime pictures and videoes in this elegant way.

It is also a very great pleasure  to look at pictures and videoes, and in some cases comment on them. The range in ships age and types make SHIPSPOTTING very interesting and informative, esp. for me, not having much experience as sailor at all. But I use every opportunity to catch pics and videoes.

Best regards from cold Norway

Tygve Eriksen

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 07:19:24 PM »
I think Denis makes a VERY valid point which perhaps should be addressed

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 07:40:05 PM »
Thumbs up from me.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 02:27:55 PM »
Perhaps another thing that should be kept in mind is the multiplicity (if that is a word) of shots of individual ships. When posting a picture here I always use the search function first to see whether and if so what pictures of the ship are already on the site. In the case of "dead"ships chances are of cause greater that there will be a limited number of pictures, but as far as modern ships are concerned I do not have the illusion that the shots I take during my daily cycle tour through the Europoort will produce a lot of added value if I posted them here. In other words there is much redundancy on the site, and that only be addressed by using self restraint by the posters. This may conflict with the definition of "spotting"(and therefore posting), but it will save on bandwith and opportunities for the site to crash.  
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:07:36 PM by pieter melissen »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 02:43:56 PM »
I have some sympathy with Pieter's point.  Sinisa said much the same a little earlier.

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
Hello,

I think, it is time to extend servers, and make things work properly again. Work on the disease, not just trying to cure the symptoms!

But, the same time, I believe the possibility of upload numbers recently was very generous. I would also not mind, if the rule was, that one person can upload just 2 photos of one ship spotted on one day. If generous, make it three.

Greetings,

Cornelia

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »
I have some sympathy with Pieter's point.  Sinisa said much the same a little earlier.

In a way, David, Sinisa is pointing at "one" poster, posting 30odd shots of the same ship, while I am more concerned about 30 posters posting the same ship (at least once). That is clearly a case of the law of diminishing returns.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »
I think, it is time to extend servers, and make things work properly again. Work on the disease, not just trying to cure the symptoms!

Isn't it the other way around:

Running out of server capacity is a symptom of people posting too many pictures. Changing the members' posting habits is a cure to the disease.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
Tuomas, one of the main objectives of the site is to post pictures....it just needs to be done in a more controlled way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk