Author Topic: Britannia's livery  (Read 21120 times)

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Britannia's livery
« on: September 28, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Britannia's livery
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »
My god! Its actually happened!!!  >:( >:( >:(
The proposed sovereignty of Scotland was my first question too. Maybe the change of livery would be scrapped all together?   

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »
She looks very impressive through her sheer size but sadly not due to her good looks or nice livery. The P&O Cruises livery was such a nice and understated livery, it's sad that it will be replaced by that monstrosity.

Kind regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »
The lines of Britannia are horrific, and no livery would ever suit her, so I am not so upset about the application of the livery to her hull, or to the bows of Azura or Ventura, though some P&O ships are modern classics, with very fine lines, like Arcadia, Aurora and Oriana. It is sad that the looks off these ships will be spoilt.

Offline NeoCivic

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »
Sometimes less is better, I prefer the look of P&O now - although some may classify the livery "Bland" and "Boring" I like them! Costa is starting to be my fav line as nothing has changed with them, except the " was taken away from the Costa funnel - but that's only tiny :P

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 09:47:35 AM »
Judging by the reaction on P&O's cruise forums, most P&O punters quite like the new livery. Some are actually excited by it  ;D  Personally, I like it too. It's striking and instantly recognisable.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Cap'

• Aye aye Cap'
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 12:08:03 PM »
Well I think it's great; we need to be blowing our own trumpet these days because nobody does it for us!

Regards, Brian.
Aye aye Cap'

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »
Surely there as less imposing ways to show national pride! You don't see a giant Italian flag on Costa's ships, or a giant national flag on any ship at all for that matter (except for Pride of America)!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:43:01 PM by SSM2005 »

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 05:58:44 PM »
This is her today:

I will upload the full picture once the site is completely back online.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 07:53:34 PM »
I don't understand 'less over-patriotic'......its gibberish.

The design on the hull, great - the funnels, not convinced.

Allan 

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 10:30:54 PM »
The question is what right does this ship have to bear the flag and claim to be British?
Built in Italy, American parent company, flagged in Bermuda and with a mostly foreign crew, still the truth wouldn't lie well with all the PR propaganda put out by the entity known as "P&O Cruises" nor it's sister brand (awful term) "Cunard", even though neither are fit to bear the name of their more famous namesakes.
It's a sap to the lowest common denominator, nothing else.
As for the funnels....

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 09:03:23 AM »
Jim - we all know P&O's parentage. Get over it.

Your tone is somewhat insulting to those who enjoy cruising with P&O.

Phil

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »
My beef is that Carnival seem to successfully peddle the fiction that their two brands are paragons of Britishness when the obvious is true, what's even worse is that so many people accept that without question.
Ask yourself why they feel the need to rebrand and disfigure their hulls in this manner when their other brands have not - at the moment they're struggling to fill their ships without heavy discounting so they're now trying to reach out to non traditional cruisers.
Why anyone would want to cruise on these behemoths is totally beyond me. Should the unthinkable happen and her indoors forces me onto a cruise ship as a passenger then it will be on something much smaller, personable and interesting - 500 punters at the absolute maximum.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 04:20:54 PM »
My beef is that you have a rather contemptuous opinion of those who choose to cruise with P&O or Cunard. It's somewhat ironic. If you are a merchant seaman, as you claim, it's possible that people like me indirectly pay your wages. As such, I'd be a little more diplomatic and less bitter to the clientele that Carnival are trying to attract. Criticise the appearance of the ships as much as you like - though I doubt that P&O cruisers care much for what you think - but don't insult the cruisers.

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 04:36:34 PM »
Fear not, you don't pay my wages.
Carnival UK (in it's many forms) has a truly horrific crew turnover rate. Good companies keep people, bad ones don't - draw your own conclusions from that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk