Author Topic: Pieter Schelte  (Read 17506 times)

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Pieter Schelte
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 06:07:45 PM »
I think Eduard should just name the ship after himself. "Well, you didn't accept my father's name, so..."

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 08:20:11 PM »
Do not live in the past look to the future which Allseas do.
But unfortunately not in their insensitive choice of name.  Being anti-German is not the same as being anti-Nazi.  Karl Benz died in 1929.

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 05:08:23 AM »
Having never known my grandfather and one of my uncles killed as innocent hostages in cold blood by the Nazi occupiers of the Netherlands, I fully agree with Pieter Melissen.

This vessel should never have been named after a former member of the Waffen SS.

Only after the international transportation union ITF protested and started a petition asking Shell not to hire this vessel, the owners decided to better change the name.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 05:28:44 AM »
This vessel is already unique in every way, so the scandal with its present name was really unnecessary "publicity" for her owners. The sooner they announce her new name the better.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 07:12:15 AM »
I find it sad really, Pieter Schelte  was, is a very fitting name for this vessel. I find it very brave of Allseas and Eduard Heerema to have the insight and balls (excuse my french) to undertake the construction of such an impressive vessel.(She is really all singen all dancing)  Do not live in the past look to the future which Allseas do. In 4 months time she will depart the Maasvlakte 2 for her first job in the north sea to remove the topside and jacket of an oil platform for Shell (24500 tons). I wish her every sucess (I also wish that I was on  board). 
if you are still pissed at the Germans then do not drive Audi BMW or Mercedes Benz (Best Cars in the world).
One more thing is that she is generating about 450 million Euro to the Netherlands Industry

Best Regards

Frank

you really missed the point, I am not pissed with Germans, but with a Dutchman. I guess you would not be very happy (assuming you are British) that the next Cunard mega cruise ship would be named the Oswald Mosley. (And I drive a French car, named after a former Dutchman who started building cars in France in the 1930's.)

Offline Dave van Spronsen

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 01:21:59 PM »
Today the ship will be renamed in PIONEERING SPIRIT.
Admin for Containerships

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »
A late but correct decision.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk