Author Topic: Video section  (Read 2754 times)

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
Video section
« on: September 05, 2014, 06:41:00 AM »
Nearly a year ago, we had a small discussion about the video section of this site. The problem with this section was, and is, that it is completely unsorted and therefore to find items that interest me, I have to look through a stack of material that is of no interest to me, and I'm sure other members have the same experience.

I'm not suggesting a major change - just one which would allow members to quickly find the latest video dealing with their interests.

What I'd like to see is a simple listing by type of vessel, or by type of video, so that we could perhaps bring up a page, perhaps like this:

Latest videos (listed by date linked, essentially what we have now).
Container vessels.
Tankers
Bulkers
General cargo vessels
Tugs
River/canal craft
News items
Accidents/Wrecks/Rough Seas
Small craft
Ports and port operations

As long as members supplying video content were willing and able to classify their video correctly, and a section administrator is available to deal with any problems, I think this would result in a more useful and interesting section.

An even more simple option might be to give video makers a tick-box from a drop-down list when they link their content, so that they could click the appropriate keyword from the list above. A simple keyword search would then enable users to find the latest in the category which interests them.

I'd be entirely willing to volunteer to take on the admin job for this section if so desired, as my interests in this site are entirely based around the video content and news aspects.

I must add that I make 3 or 4 video clips per week and usually add them here, and that these would usually appear in the Container Ship and the News categories.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:55:04 AM by chrisg46 »
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
Re: Video section
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
That's fair enough, Ken, but I thought it would be a good idea to bring it up again - essentially I think the people who actually "own" the site, and I assume make money from its advertising, might find a more modern approach to online video might result in more views and more income . . and if you look at other sites which show video in a more selective and selectable way, you might see that they get more views than here . .
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk