Author Topic: A Triple E among container vessels to be laid up  (Read 3611 times)

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
A Triple E among container vessels to be laid up
« on: October 30, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »
Capt. Ted, this one is for your personal enjoyment! :)

http://theloadstar.co.uk/maersk-lays-up-a-triple-e-as-winter-nears-and-idled-tonnage-closes-on-a-million-teu/

Really?!? No, it can't possibly be true!

(These are the voices in my head. I'm scrambling for an explanation just like the crew from Alphaliner...)

But, admitting that I was among those who thought that the largest (= most efficient) vessels would be kept full, here's my 0.02$: darn the cheap oil!

It also reminds me of a fact that, ultimately, efficiency is dependent on price: given cheap enough prices of resources, even the "obsolete" solutions stay competitive.

Also, don't forget that the overall amount of laid up container tonnage is so high due to low scrap steel prices, for it makes more sense to wait, both for the owners and the scrap tonnage buyers.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: A Triple E among container vessels to be laid up
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 05:22:30 PM »
Hi Lappino

Well I whish I had be wrong !!!!!

But basic mathematics, which I was taught in 1st and 2nd grade told me that it will happen.
I wonder if those managers who are now in the problems ever were in 1st and 2nd grade ,looks to me more that they skipped those important years of school :-)

I fear that one or two of the real big may be skirting bankcrupcy or even become insolvent.
How an old Capt told me when I was a young sailor,, ordering them in good times is the easy part,,running them in bad times is the skill !!!!
Excatly that seems to show more and more,,todays managers only thinking from quarter to quarter with their eyes on the bonus programs and not on the years to come !

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline MO Roy

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »
Hi gents,
So that's probably the reason they lifted the option for another 8 14000teu vessels.
Cheers,
Roy

Offline hecarmi

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 07:13:46 PM »
Hi gents,

What is that music I hear in the background?
Oh yes, Talking Heads, "Road to nowhere"  ;D

Everybody keeps building ships while they are already coming out of our ears...
Let's hope at least those unnecessary ships are laid up in places accessible to Shipspotters to soften the blow a bit ;)

Cheers,
Herbert

Offline jan_t

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jantiedemann.de
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk