Author Topic: LYUBOV ORLOVA - CHARLENE HUNT  (Read 2327 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
LYUBOV ORLOVA - CHARLENE HUNT
« on: June 22, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »
Canadian investigation by Transportation Safety Board of the loss of tow by tug CHARLENE HUNT last year has been published

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/marine/2013/M13N0001/M13N0001.asp

Offline Paul Bradshaw

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: LYUBOV ORLOVA - CHARLENE HUNT
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »
My thoughts at the time were the tug was old, which does not necessarily make her un-seaworthy, and that the weather forecast did not seem to favor a deperture at the time. This report exposes facts such as the tug had problems reaching St Johns and that the towing arrangement was less than acceptable. What I don't understand is the mandate of the agencies involved is to try to prevent what in fact happened and when the lost tow was recovered it was released?

Offline IRION29

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:24:34 AM »
First reports indicate the tow was released, Now the report says the second emergency tow failed WTF?

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:15:09 AM »
First reports indicate the tow was released, Now the report says the second emergency tow failed WTF?

http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,11346.60.html
Looking back at the forum thread of the time, I don't see any reports that the tow was "released" (ie deliberately set free), though I did speculate about that at the time. 

In view of the description of the main towing arrangements it is not at all surprising that the emergency towline eventually failed.  Any further towage attempts would have involved boarding the vessel (which probably had no power), making a new bridle, standing by the LO.  Bearing in mind the very low potential value of the vessel and her doubtful seaworthiness it is not surprising the commercial salvors weren't interested.  Transport Canada, having determined that this large radar target was drifting away from Canada and North Atlantic shipping lanes, also decided that the costly effort to arrange salvage was a waste of taxpayers' money.  She never drifted anywhere near another ship.  Looks like they made the right call. 

What does, perhaps, lie at the door of TC is the failure to inspect the CHARLENE HUNT at St John's.  Of course, the tug's master was instructed to report his arrival, but didn't.  Not only was the tug's presence in St John's common knowledge, but TC Halifax should have informed TC St John's that a previously detained vessel was heading their way.  Were they more concerned to see the backs of these two embarrassing vessels rather than follow their responsibilities.  I think more might have been said about this in the investigation if there had been any loss of life from the tug.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk