Author Topic: Titanic II Cruise Ship Will Sail In 2016, With Enough Lifeboats?  (Read 18796 times)

Offline michaeljordan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
The ship, which Australian billionaire Clive Palmer is planning to build in China, is scheduled to sail in 2016. Will it be the most safe cruise ship in the world when it launches?
http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/titanic-ii-cruise-liner/

It is the brainchild of Australian billionaire Clive Palmer, a working replica of the Titanic with carry 2,600 passengers in 850 cabins and an additional 900 crew members, scheduled to set sail in 2016.

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
Re: Titanic II Cruise Ship Will Sail In 2016, With Enough Lifeboats?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:07:11 AM »
Whether Clive will have enough money left to pay for it then is another question.

Offline Jimmy Christie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Mostly Ships
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »
"The new ship, which its developers claim will match the original Titanic for luxury... "

Well, all I can say is that a cabin the size of a broom cupboard with bunk beds, a folding washbasin and no en-suite facilities is most assuredly not my idea of luxury. And I don't believe it will appeal to the vast majority of present day cruise passengers.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »
Well, it seems that for most people Titanic as a whole is equivalent to Titanic's first class.

Also, I'm totally fed up with this talking about safety and lifeboats. We don't have SOLAS and a bunch of other international conventions for nothing. It'll be just as safe as any newbuilt cruise ship.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »
AFAIK, no firm contracts have been signed to actually BUILD the TITANIC II, so most likely it will not be built at all.

Offline Jimmy Christie

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Mostly Ships
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »
In truth, I very much doubt that she ever will be built. But if she is, at 56,000gt and with 2,600 passengers her space:passenger ratio is going to be one of the worst around. For comparison sake, QM2 at c150,000gt carries roughly the same number of passengers.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:41:20 PM by Jimmy Christie »

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:35:15 PM »
I wholly agree, after all if she is supposed to sail on her maiden voyage in 2016 why are they only now making agreements regarding her construction, in mid-2014? OK, at 56,000 gt she is not what is regarded as a being a large ship but on the other hand neither is she a 'bog-standard' cruise ship, this is supposed to be something rather special and thus is not a ship that can be thrown together from the usual 'kit of parts'.
I'll be there in Southampton to see her arrive, if ever that day happens. But I'm not holding my breath........

Offline seaway7228

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
They should call it the "Titanic Ego".. Clive Palmer maybe rich but he is taken with a pinch of salt in many circles down under.. ??? This dream will never "sea" salt!!

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 01:49:27 PM »
I wish that this daft story did not keep resurfacing. It's utter nonsense. No contracts have been signed, no ship will be built, let alone sail. It's all one big publicity stunt and ego trip for Clive Palmer.

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
We all know that this will not surface. The ship would be a real money maker at first, but after the novelty has worn off, I do not understand who would use the ship, with her lack of Americanised restaurants, rock climbing walls, and what not. And for the passengers who prefer more traditional cruises, who may travel with the likes of Seaborne and the new Viking Ocean Cruises will not like the idea of having various area restricted, and I can't imagine who would. There will be no swimming pool except for the Turkish Baths, no duty free shopping and no or little evening entertainment. As boredom on sea days will overcome many, the will be little or no return rate.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:38:29 PM by Shaun Smith Milne »

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »
If there are people around like Palmer who don't know how to spend all their money, I've another idea...
I'd prefer a replica of French Lines "Normandie"... :)

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »
good point about France 2 m.k., many ground-breaking ships are dreamed up, but most never are anything more than a blueprint. Looks at  Princess Kaguya, a cruise ship that was designed with a length of 500m and a gross tonnage of 450,000!!!
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=558174

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 05:48:56 PM »
@Jens
Normandie would be a real ship to be replicated, unlike Titanic, which has a ridiculous amount of fame!!!  ;D

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
All right, some of these dreamed up ships are just getting ridiculous now!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgWRIuWOR20

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 06:01:29 PM »
And the dreamed up Carnival Pinnacle, a liner with a monorail system!!! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk