Author Topic: Thames ship spotting  (Read 8664 times)

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Thames ship spotting
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »
Does anyone know of a spot on the Thames river bank near a place called Cliffe just outside Gravesend? I have looked on Google earth for such a place but none is apparent. I think there must be such a place because I have seen videos by a chap going by the name of Ted Ingham and some of them were obviously taken from the river bank.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Thames ship spotting
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 07:01:41 PM »
Google Gravesend to Cliffe.  Google map and bus timetable!!

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »
Ted also makes some interesting Thames and Medway shipping videos from his motorboat, which I think her keeps on the Medway . .
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »
Thank you both,am on with it now. 

Offline TEDINGHAM

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 07:59:47 PM »
I normally park the car in the RSPB car park which is open until 1700 every day.
Walk back to the main entrance and then follow the path that is parallel to Bretts conveyor belt which run out to Cliffe Alpha Jetty. This will take approx 30 minutes.I keep to the East side of Creek and about 100 yards east of the point climb over the sea wall where there is a steel ladder.There you will get the best advantage point for photographing the shipping in both directions.The sun will always be behind you through out the day this time of the year.
I recently purchased a fold up bike which makes it easier to get back if the weather deteriorates.
Look on the RSPB site and type Cliffe Pools for directions.
Hope this helps.
Ted

Offline TEDINGHAM

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:28:23 AM »
From Gravesend another good location is Shornmead Fort.
I usually park the car behind Riverside Park and follow Gordon Road East over the lock gate by Gravesend Yacht Club and look out for the Saxon Shore route signs.This will lead you along a path in between the industrial area towards Denton.You will eventually come out by the PLA yard.
Follow the road around and you will pass the Ship and Lobster Pub. Follow the sea wall past Clubbs Wharf and the Met Training Centre. You will see Shornemead Fort in the distance. Nearby is a large concrete apron.There you can take shots almost at sea level.
From Gravesend to Shornemead approx 40 minutes.Though you may find a parking place in Denton but it is very industrial.

Ted

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 07:53:18 AM »
Thanks for these, Ted. I'll have to give them both a try next time I'm down your way.
Chris

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 08:41:31 AM »
The other really interesting place to film/photograph activity on the Thames is from the Tilbury Ferry - I recently shot some video from it, posted it here as a trip report, but it was deleted  . . . such is life. It's on the video page still, I hope.

The ferry is really excellent if you can keep an eye on local traffic via marine traffic, maybe, and take the trip to match the ship movement. The ferry costs
Chris

Offline Colwyn Grace

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »
Thanx very much, hope to get down there soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk