Author Topic: A Question About Ship Re-Flagging  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
A Question About Ship Re-Flagging
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:21:30 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering, when a ship is re-flagged what kind of things on board or information regarding (like MMSI, call sign etc)a ship change? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Cody

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: A Question About Ship Re-Flagging
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »
Hi Cody

the only thing what is visible to the outside world changes is the Call sign/flag, beside possibly the name/owners/homeport etc but the two latter of course is optional.
Otherwise all ships certificates have to be changed to the new call sign/flag i.e. name
and those are plenty.
on the ship itself also all places where a call sign is shown must be changed, like at the radio station. Also new settings in the AIS/Voyage data recorders/EPIRBS etc
The vitals of a ship stay the same,,like MMSI/IMO no.s

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »
On reflagging there must be a new Port of Registry (except perhaps where there is some quirky dual flagging arrangement) - and MMSI will change as it is flag-specific, I think.
But out Capt has it right in saying that there are a myriad of documents - not just related to the ship itself (add to the list insurance and class documents for example), but probably crew documentation as well.  It's not just a quick dab of paint and visit to the chandlers for a new ensign!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 03:36:29 PM »
hi david
to my knowledge MMSI stays same,,is once issued same as IMO for a ship.
What changes is the Call sign

homeport,,only when it changes,,which is not necessarily, but depends on
arrangements between countires and such
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »
MMSI numbers are not given centrally like IMO; they are given by flag states from national batches allocated by the ITU - the first three digits show the country. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMSI
http://www.itu.int/online/mms/glad/cga_mids.sh?lng=E

My observation has been that call sign and MMSI both change on a change of registry.

Even ships on  one-way voyages for scrap usually have a badly-painted new port if the flag changes.  I suspect that that is a registry (or even IMO) requirement.  But no doubt there are laxities and exceptions.

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 04:17:06 PM »
hi david

stand corrected,,you are right :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk