Author Topic: National flag  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
National flag
« on: May 14, 2014, 08:11:55 AM »
Hi, I am a first time poster on this forum, so sorry if this is a silly question but you don't know till you ask :).My question why do ships for example one registered in Hong Kong fly a Australian flag when its in a Australian port ???       

Offline sandygates

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: National flag
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:10:02 AM »
A courtesy flag (or courtesy ensign) is flown by a ship in foreign waters as a token of respect by a visiting vessel. It is usually a smaller version of the national maritime flag of the host country, although there are countries (such as Malta) where the national, rather than the maritime flag is correct. The flag is customarily worn at the starboard crosstree of the foremast.

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:24:42 AM »
Thank you now I know cheers :)

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »
Traditionally, a courtesy flag would be flown from the truck of the foremast, the truck being the highest point on the mast as this would invariably be the highest point on a ship - the higher the flag the greater the sign of respect. The company house flag would be flown at the truck of the mainmast with the ensign at the gaff (when underway) or from the stern (when alongside/in port).
The one notable exception to this was Brocklebank Line, they always flew their house flag from the foremast and as far as I'm aware was the only company to do so.
Because of design changes over the years and for convenience, most ships fly all their flags from the mainmast instead. Flags on yards have a seniority system; starboard outer, port outer, starboard inner, port inner etc. Ergo you'll normally see the courtesy flag on the starboard outer yard and the company house flag on the port outer yard.
Whilst it is known as a courtesy, in many countries it is actually a legal requirement to fly a courtesy flag - non compliance can result in a fine or worse.
In Saudi Arabia it is a legal requirement for the Saudi flag to be flown from the Foremast day and night, and at night it should be illuminated. Failure to do this will often see a visit from local officials followed by the arrest of the Master until a fine is paid.

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 07:57:38 PM »
I once sailed aboard Queen Mary 2, and in the city of Bergen, I noticed that the ship was flying the Icelandic flag instead of the Norwegian one. Ooops!  :'( fortunately, it was rectified before we left port.  :D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk