Author Topic: Britain's last barbaric sea trade - live animal export  (Read 17102 times)

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
Britain's last barbaric sea trade - live animal export
« on: May 07, 2014, 01:08:01 PM »
I hope no-one will mind too much that I've just posted a video on the site's video page, about a shipping topic which I find completely loathsome. At present, the UK's farming industry exports a few thousand culled sheep from its flocks by sea, still alive, to be slaughtered in all kinds of awful circumstances, and I believe this should be stopped.

As well as exporting the sheep themselves, this trade also exports British jobs, from our meat industry, and means that animals which have been raised within our animal welfare framework, are treated badly, and live their last days in fear and terror.

Thank you for your indulgence.
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
Re: Britain's last barbaric sea trade - live animal export
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 02:03:57 PM »
I for once salute this post.

Best regards Tomas

Offline thomas724

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
to the OP  80 % of the lentils the World consumes are grown in Canada   80% of the Mustard seed used to make mustard are grown in Canada. Harvested then exported. Exactly what these farmers are doing. Then with the money they make selling these animals or products they Support local shops pay taxes. Im very sorry that you cannot see this.To me this is truly shocking.

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »
I for two salute you Chris.
Best regards

Offline sandygates

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
Emotive, one-sided, ill-researched, shock-horror, hack tele-journalism! 

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:24:36 PM »
......and everybody wants a mc Donald drive through for 99ct (or whatever drive through or product) Very easy, it comes down to this   ,pay more for food or not !!!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »
And who says that somebody doesnt have will to do just that, captain?
I am sick and tired of the whole meat-industry, and have been for ages.
I am piss-poor, according to Norwegian standards, but i try to purchase meat from animals i can trace, and i know has been well.
Its about awareness.

And not close your eyes to cruelty.

And that was my two cents, feel free to ridicule it, debate it or do whatever you want with it. (this doesnt particullary apply to captain ted)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 06:34:34 PM »
Thomas
then you are one of the very few,,99% of humanity gives a ..... when it comes to their wallet their wallet is prime !!!!
and I pointed just that out, which is a fact, we like it or not .
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 06:38:05 PM »
I know its a fact, and its a sad one, witch i cannot change if i wanted to or not, but i do my small steps along with my family.

But you are completly correct, dear Ted.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »
This pales into insignificance compared to the millions of animals exported from Australia to the middle east for barbaric halal slaughter - which incidentally now also seems to be creeping into the UK meat market

Allan

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 08:11:03 PM »
@ Tomas, respect and kudos to you
On a ship one does not have big choices because it,s a chandler who delivers it and buys it from a whole seller who buys it from........ and so on

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 10:42:11 PM »
To describe animals "living their last days in fear and horror" is a bit over the top.
Does anybody really believe that animals have the capacity to reason that "we are headed for the barbaric meat trade somewhere because I read about it in the newspapers. Oh Dear!" No they don't. They don't even know they are going on a journey.
While working at Jeddah airport many years ago, I had to drive through the Saudi Air Force area and watched a trio of goats being prepared for dinner. The first one was grabbed and wrestled a bit and as quick as you like, the butcher had slit it's throat with a very sharp knife. In a very short space of time, it was unconscious and just as quickly, dead. The goat's 2 mates stood idly by, watching the whole process and didn't decide "Oh dear! This looks grim, Cecil has just had his throat cut. We really ought to bugger off". No, as animals are expected to do, they stood and watched, no doubt wondering where their next bale of hay was coming from. By the way Allan, this also partly answers your point. Halal slaughter is barbaric if you read the Sun. If you read the Star, it goes up a notch to "Really Barbaric" and Outrageous" if you read the Mail. None of the English press ever complains about Kosher slaughter. It is identical to Halal and has been going on here for centuries but nobody mentions it.
Back to the original post; where is the evidence that these animals are off to be slaughtered in horrible circumstances? If they are being sold into Europe, then the EU has rules governing the welfare of animals.
Also, if the numbers are "a few thousand sheep" then I don't think the comment re British jobs in the meat trade is relevant. Approximately 9 million sheep are slaughtered each year in the UK so a few thousand will make no difference at all to the jobs in that industry.
I think it might be better to protest about things like people having nowhere to live or human trafficking etc.

Offline Patagualino

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 02:15:26 AM »
This is a subject that I for one have expressed grave doubts about: The live export of animals.........And the OP is right to bring it to the forum.

The live meat export from the UK does indeed pale into insignificance compared with those from Australia & New Zealand to satisfy the "needs" of the Middle East.
Be very aware that there are strong groups within Oz & NZ against this trade.

For those justifying Halal & Kosher slaughter methods, I would point out that BOTH methods are against the wishes of the majority of the UK public.....Indeed, it is a mystery just why the RSPCA seems to turn a blind eye.....
(well, no mystery really, the whole country is obsessed with not causing offence to ANYONE for fear of the PC Brigade, which operates with impunity to control the thoughts of the citizens.)

Captain Ted: You are quite right. The Wallet Rules.
Although the day you see me buying a 99cent burger in McDonalds: You have my permission to put me out of my misery...

I note that Pizza Express in the UK has just admitted that all its chicken is "Halal"....It will be interesting to see how that admission affects sales.
As a customer I would be angry that I was not informed of this.

What people have a right to know is just how their food is sourced & prepared.
I would never ever,knowingly eat either Halal or Kosher meat: That is my right & my choice.

What I do object to quite simply is:
The transport by sea of live animals purely on the grounds of "method of slaughter".It is unnecessary & cruel: Humans get seasick & get treatment, but animals? Probably more so as the environment is completely alien to them.

Finally, to Kelvin Davies: Yes, you are right, there are many pressing problems in the world, such as human trafficking & slavery......but the way humans treat animals is an valuable indicator as to how humans treat fellow humans.
It speaks volumes: That is why it it is hushed up & not discussed....as we are doing here.
We have the freedom to do so because we did not ignore "the little infringements" of human rights & liberty.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:33:46 AM by Patagualino »
Cheers: Steve.

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 02:40:04 AM »
The live meat export from the UK does indeed pale into insignificance compared with those from Australia & New Zealand to satisfy the "needs" of the Middle East.

Just to put the record straight, shipments of live sheep from New Zealand to the Middle East for slaughter ceased over 10 years ago.

The only livestock shipments from New Zealand these days are usually cattle exported for breeding purposes. These ships carry a vet and the wellbeing of the animals is a major consideration.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 06:49:23 AM »
And by coincidence, this morning's news is full of the story re New Zealand meat, halal slaughter etc.
It turns out that Pataguilino may well have unwittingly eaten halal meat as halal slaughtered meat imported from New Zealand is being sold by the major supermarkets without mentioning the halal info. No fault of the Kiwis who export the carcasses with all the relevant info. The supermarkets just "forget" to mention it.
In the same news discussion, it transpires 90% of halal meat sourced in the UK is actually stunned prior to slaughter. 0% of kosher meat is stunned before slaughter.
I don't, never have and never will condone maltreatment of animals but I do think this issue of live exports, as far as the UK is concerned is grossly overblown. Don't forget that most of the live animals exported from UK are going for further fattening before slaughter. So, if animals do have any cogent thoughts, they may well be thinking "Yum, yum. Free grub".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk