Author Topic: LINKED PHOTOGRAPHS  (Read 6058 times)

kensmith

LINKED PHOTOGRAPHS
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:05:15 PM »

There has been some discussion in the Forum recently about photographs being linked to other Websites.

I have given a lot of thought to this and whether it is good or bad for the Website.

The Plus side is that it does help with financing this website.

The Minus side of this practice is can it be used to increase the number of hits to a photograph, which at the present time is not up for discussion but is being reviewed.

We all have to remember this Website comes absolutely free to all but it does have to be paid for and this is a means of publicising the Website which in turn brings in the revenue.

There are links provided for the purpose of linking and they are available to all members.

Whatever you think Social Media in all its connotations it is here to stay so we have to make full use of it for the benefit of the Website, there are a few drawbacks which are out weighed by usefulness for our ever growing Website and I am afraid we must learn to live with it and hopefully comes to terms with it.

Kind Regards
Ken Smith
Webmaster

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: LINKED PHOTOGRAPHS
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 06:13:26 AM »
Ken,

thank you very much for Fixing this question for all of us. It is indeed needed to do all, what keeps this site going, and of course it is a great Thing, that this site here is for free, despite some drawbacks.

So, I think if there is still a Problem with linking and the top three, which seems to give alot of grief to People, than the only other Option is, to replace that instead with random photos from last 24 hours. An Option I could live with, too.

Greetings,

Cornelia

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:43:17 PM »
The good thing with the so-called social media is that as new information pours in, a link is buried under new content in a matter of hours if not even minutes. That means that even if some photographs suddenly get a massive boost of hits after having been posted somewhere, it's quite likely they won't make it into next day's "most viewed" page because somewhere, someone else has posted a link on his Facebook wall.

As for the front page, perhaps we could have more rows of photographs in addition to the current ones. For example, three most viewed photographs from last 48 hours and 7 days in addition to the three most viewed photographs of the day. There's often interesting discussion behind the "popular" photographs. In the next layout update, you could also consider expanding the layout of the website to the whole page and include more content on the front page. After all, it's 2014 now and affordable 4K displays are beginning to pour to the market...

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:19:59 PM »
hi all
may be I get it all wrong,,for me it is not the problem that someone links his/her pictures
to an outside site, what I don,t like is that the hits the picture get on the outside web link are counted as hits on this site. This totally distorts the reality.
brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk