Author Topic: Possible Malware - Invitations for Java Updates  (Read 17071 times)

Offline Alex59

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Possible Malware - Invitations for Java Updates
« on: April 27, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »
Hello Everyone.  Just on ShipSpotting, I get many invitations for Java Updates.  I know this is not from Java/Oracle because the originating address is different from day to day.  Additionally, I have checked Java's own website and everything on my computer is up to date.  Is anyone else getting these "malware" type messages for Java?  Really annoying and disconcerting!

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Malware - Invitations for Java Updates
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »
Yes, I've been getting them, though I haven't done anything with the 'request' - fortunately.
Well, other than ignore it that is.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 06:11:47 PM »
Yes I've been getting them also, but my AVG has picked them out as being posssibly dangerous and stopped any downloading.

Allan

Offline Alex59

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
Thanks very much, Clive and Allan, for your replies.  Have a good day!

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »
I've had no prompt to update java - although like Derek, I use an ad-blocker.

It could be possible that the prompt is being served via one of the adverts displayed on the site. I know I've had similar issues on my website before.
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 11:42:41 PM »
I get the same from time to time as Allan and the earlier posters and the same action from AVG.  It's a crafty one that doesn't have a "no thanks" option, but "back" on the browser gets rid of it.

Offline Alex59

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 06:51:35 AM »
Thanks for all the info and hints, Gentlemen.

Offline Pier Master

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • The Pier Master
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 08:00:22 AM »
I have been a victim of this, I am still trying to get rid of it, beware...
Blistering barnacles...

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 08:11:39 AM »
Same here. This had come up but I wasn't 100% sure it was from Shipspotting as I had other browser windows open. AVG has prevented any infection.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »
I had this too and it came via Shipspotting.com I think the tech Folks should do something against ! Recently all sort of trash is coming via shipspotting.com and there is a Need for tidying up, I believe.

Offline ribfreak

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »
Roger that! Why are the guys who run this site don`t check all the crap that wants to open up on the sides? I know that they have to have advertising in here to keep the site running, but at least they should make sure that visitors computers won`t get infected..... I`m truly pissed about this.

Wolfgang

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
Wolfgang,
You are not paying the guys who run this site so don't demand they carry out your work.
Responsibility for taking care of what infects your computer is yours.
Nobody else's.
Do what Derek & I (and probably many others) do; use Firefox with NoScript.

Offline Alan Green

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 01:14:36 PM »
Also getting pop ups for Java and I seem to recall a pop up for Adobe but Kaspersky takes care of them.

Offline ribfreak

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »
@Kelvin
Please, don`t give me something like that. I`ve set up my hole system completly new YESTERDAY (slow formating, installing Win7, 32-bit, all 159(!) MS-updates done), downloaded the newest FF-version (which, by the way is set up on a very high system security level right from the factory), did my usual stuff (emails, news and so on) and as soon as I hit this site that whole crab starts all over again? Come on, man- you`d be mad too!

Look at it the other way round: I`d rather give the guys who own this site 20,- bucks a year than Kaspersky, McAffee, Norton and also other criminal companies in that security business (Guess where all those neat little worms, viruses, trojans and malware are coming from, don`t be stupid!) and they could shut down all sidebars, pop-ups, banners and thus highly improve the performance of this wonderfull site.

It`s always the same: You belong to those kind of guys who spents a small fortune each year on the newest firewalls and security software, just to be able to surf free sites and feel secure doing so. Great, but check this out: Those free sites still cost money to be operated > advertising starts > those ads will be raided by highly specialized hackers (guess who pays them) > the sites now start to infect computers of the users > they immediatly hurry to their favorite software shop again to buy the newest version of "anti-virus software" > install software, feel safe again > when sales of the "newest security software" drops to a certain level, the hackers get order to infect everything with their latest creations and the whole process starts all over again. Congrats buddy, you`re really a strong supporter- unfortunatly of the wrong guys.... :-(

BTW: Figuring out that process is no rocket-science at all.

NOTHING on earth is for free and if you want a certain quality and performance of something you`ve gotta pay for it. I`d prefer to pay the right guys.  ;)

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 06:48:46 PM »
Perhaps you left a hole in your system...

Anyway, I have never got such pop-ups in ShipSpotting.com or any other free website, nor has AVG alerted me about the presence of such malware. However, since I have the advertisements permanently disabled on nearly every site, I would assume that if some people are reporting malware attacks from ShipSpotting.com, they are originating from external ads. However, they could as well be existing malware that has nothing to do with this website, but is just triggered by opening a new page in the browser in order to appear more legit...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk